Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

The two Phillip Hammonds Watch

• Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (1,) Phillip Hammond before the EU referendum:

"Hard-headed analysis shows that every alternative to remaining in a reformed EU would leave Britain weaker, less safe and worse off. Working people would pay the price with fewer jobs and rising prices… British businesses would be squeezed out of traditional markets… [Brexit would mean we] sacrifice jobs and growth… while our competitors forge ahead…”

(2,) Phillip Hammond today

“The British people did not vote on June 23 to become poorer or less secure… No one should be in any doubt that we have the skills, the ingenuity and the determination to make a success of Brexit... We ARE going to make a success of it… Our vibrant, successful economy will mean that when future generations look back on our decision in 2016 they will see not the end of an era but the beginning of a new age… A bigger, better, greater Britain…”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016...s-he-think-we/

ReputationRep:
    A Tory Chancellor of the Exchequer changing tune based on circumstances who would have guessed
    :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    Meh tbf I don't like the guy but what do you expect him to do, go 'argh we're all doomed I tell you, doomed!'
    Hell, make me chancellor and I'd try and sell brexit myself!

The only thing that really grinds my gears are those brexit morons who think that remainders have to uncritically accept brexit as a glowering succes before it's even happened - if not they're undemocratic !remoaners'
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Davij038)
    Meh tbf I don't like the guy but what do you expect him to do, go 'argh we're all doomed I tell you, doomed!'
    Hell, make me chancellor and I'd try and sell brexit myself!

The only thing that really grinds my gears are those brexit mirrors be who think that remainders have tobuncriticalky accept brexit as glowering succes before it's even happened - if not they're undemocratic !remoaners'
    I would expect consistency.
    If remain had won and Cameron made Gove chancellor would we expect him to go on about how wonderful the EU is and how Britain is going to thrive?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scottish Person)
    A politician changing tune based on circumstances who would have guessed
    :dontknow:
    Don't pretend it's just Tory Chanellors

ReputationRep:
    I thought we all knew by now that Cameron created project fear and probably threatened their positions if they didn't do as he said. Do remember they were almost certain they'd win. Him and Theresa were soft remainers which is what this country needs considering 48% still need representation while fulfilling the wish of the majority.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zayn008)
    I thought we all knew by now that Cameron created project fear and probably threatened their positions if they didn't do as he said. Do remember they were almost certain they'd win. Him and Theresa were soft remainers which is what this country needs considering 48% still need representation while fulfilling the wish of the majority.
    Phillip Hammond was regarded by the cabinet as the most pro-Europe member.
    He was not 'soft remain', he was full on remain.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bornblue)
    Phillip Hammond was regarded by the cabinet as the most pro-Europe member.
    He was not 'soft remain', he was full on remain.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-22505235 I guess he's a bit of a swing voter

ReputationRep:
    Apparently the foreign office converted him as it did William Hague.

ReputationRep:
    lol reminds me of before the 2010 General Election, when the polls were suggesting there might be a hung Parliament, Cameron was going round saying you have to vote Conservative, because if you get a Conservative majority you get a strong government in a time of crisis, if its a hung Parliament you'll have weeks of instability, politicians doing deals behind closed doors blah blah. The day after the election result: "I am going to make a big and open offer to the Liberal Democrats..."
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Davij038)
    Apparently the foreign office converted him as it did William Hague.
    I believe it was a peerage that did that to Hague

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MagicNMedicine)
    lol reminds me of before the 2010 General Election, when the polls were suggesting there might be a hung Parliament, Cameron was going round saying you have to vote Conservative, because if you get a Conservative majority you get a strong government in a time of crisis, if its a hung Parliament you'll have weeks of instability, politicians doing deals behind closed doors blah blah. The day after the election result: "I am going to make a big and open offer to the Liberal Democrats..."
    To be fair, saying negotiations are happening and them being behind closed doors are not mutually exclusive, did we get hour by hour updates on what was going on? It ended up being 5 days and to be fair there wasn't really any other outcome bar another election as is normally the case in a hung parliament.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I don't like the guy. Hypocrite. But I suppose he's towing the party line, when Cameron was PM he backed Cameron in regards to his rhetoric on the EU referendum, now May is PM he is backing her stance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by suky321)
    I don't like the guy. Hypocrite. But I suppose he's towing the party line, when Cameron was PM he backed Cameron in regards to his rhetoric on the EU referendum, now May is PM he is backing her stance.
    What I always wonder on Brexit, is how many of the naturally Eurosceptic Conservatives that got to the upper echelons of the party made a calculated gamble to say they were 'reluctant remainers', anticipating a remain victory and Cameron to continue, probably being succeeded by Osborne and thinking that it would be bad for their own careers to strike out as a leaver and then end up losing. In the post-remain victory reshuffle they may have been passed over in favour of young upcomers, whereas by saying they were supporting remain they may have been ok.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    What I always wonder on Brexit, is how many of the naturally Eurosceptic Conservatives that got to the upper echelons of the party made a calculated gamble to say they were 'reluctant remainers', anticipating a remain victory and Cameron to continue, probably being succeeded by Osborne and thinking that it would be bad for their own careers to strike out as a leaver and then end up losing. In the post-remain victory reshuffle they may have been passed over in favour of young upcomers, whereas by saying they were supporting remain they may have been ok.
    I don't believe that Theresa May supported remain at all.

She was about as keen as a remainer as Corbyn.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    I suspect a lot of them, I believed from the start that May was a closet leaver given she basically did not get involved at all

It's also convention that the cabinet present a single coherent position, especially on such major things.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    I suspect a lot of them, I believed from the start that May was a closet leaver given she basically did not get involved at all

It's also convention that the cabinet present a single coherent position, especially on such major things.
    She supported remain about as much as Corbyn did.
    *May's tactic was basically to stay out the way and not annoy either side.*
    Recently It came clear about how annoyed Cameron was with her for not doing more.*
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    I think he must be the most boring cabinet minister of all time.*

Even the Telegraph were ripping into him for it!*
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bornblue)
    She supported remain about as much as Corbyn did.
    *May's tactic was basically to stay out the way and not annoy either side.*
    Recently It came clear about how annoyed Cameron was with her for not doing more.*
    I think it more Cameron's just annoyed he isn't PM anymore, self inflicted, his involvement probably contributed massively to the loss and meant he had little choice but to stand down.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    I think it more Cameron's just annoyed he isn't PM anymore, self inflicted, his involvement probably contributed massively to the loss and meant he had little choice but to stand down.
    *In all seriousness, apart from the EU what is it that turned you so against Cameron and Osborne? You genuinely seemed quite happy with them this time last year.*

Has your ideology shifted?*

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply
Updated: October 5, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Is GoT overrated?
General election 2017 on TSR
Register to vote

Registering to vote?

Check out our guide for everything you need to know

Manifesto snapshots

Manifesto Snapshots

All you need to know about the 2017 party manifestos

Party Leader questions

Party Leader Q&A

Ask political party leaders your questions

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.