How on earth does breaking down Glucose or ATP to ADP release energy?!

Watch this thread
nwmyname
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Breaking bonds is endothermic - heat energy is taken in.
So, my book says that the breaking down of glucose 'releases energy used in the synthesis of ATP' - how is that possible heat energy is taken in?

Additionally, when ATP is released to ADP & Pi, how does this release energy since again, the bond breaking is endothermic? Does the Pi bond again with the ADP to form ATP?! what's the case?!
Kvothe the Arcane
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 5 years ago
Your question is answered here.
macpatgh-Sheldon
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
For A level biology, the easy way to understand this process is as below - unless you want to comprehend a whole page of complex astrophysics in the link provided above.

Bond formation is not necessarily exothermic - when a high energy particle such as phosphate (actually PO3-) is liberated, it results in release of energy - this energy was previously "stored" as chemical potential energy during the formation of the ATP from ADP and Pi.

Yes, I agree that a slight "error" is apparent in this argument resulting from the simplification, but for A level biology, which capitalizes on simplicity, it is actually better than a long-winded detailed explanation.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you done work experience at school/college?

Yes (146)
42.2%
Not yet, but I will soon (63)
18.21%
No (137)
39.6%

Watched Threads