Looking to get into Uni from Northern Ireland but don't know how/where to start...

Announcements Posted on
TSR looking different to you this week? Find out why here. 02-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    Firstly, apologies if this is the wrong section. Mods can feel free to move this to the correct section.

I'll try to keep all of this short and simple. I'm age 22, live in the north coast area of Northern Ireland, and at the moment, I'm into my 2nd year of my 3 year part-time (one day a week) foundation degree course in event management at a belfast metropolitan college campus in Belfast. When I complete this year, I gain my Certificate in Higher Education qualification, and if I decide to participate in the 3rd year of the course and complete it, I gain a full HND qualification. I'd love to go to university. I currently suffer from clinical depression and social anxiety (I'm on medication for these, and have received counselling in the past after a suicide attempt - plus a drug addiction wasn't helping either). After my last place of employment went out of business in February (I was hired in September), I've been unemployed and registered on jobseeker's allowance. I've been trying to actively find employment since with no luck (though I have 3 interviews over the next week, so hopefully I can gain employment again soon. It's really not easy today). Aside from that, I've been relying on my parents too for finances (if I need anything).

I'd love to go to university to experience it, and try to change my life. I don't have any friends at all (all live abroad/other countries now), and I really want to change my life and go far in it. As this area where I live in (and the areas around it) are a total dump, I'd love to go to university in Scotland or certain areas in England (Manchester, Liverpool, and Leeds would appeal to me). I just want to leave here. When I bring up going to university to my tutors at college, they try to say that I can go into a 'top up year' after the third year of the course, and go to a university for a year, but I really want the full monty. Along with that, they seem pretty clueless about the whole uni thing.

I've tried calculating UCAS points online, but aside from a BTEC level 3 course I've done in the past and all (which I gained an overall Pass/Pass/Pass in to get into my current course), I can't find the points for a CertHE or HND, and how much they'd be worth. So what I'm basically asking is:

1) Would a CertHe be enough to gain entry into a university? I wouldn't do the third year of my course if so.
    2) Is it harder for me to gain entry into a university in Scotland or England as I'm from Northern Ireland?
    3) Not really relevant to the topic - but would it be bad for me at age 23 or 24 to only be going to university at that age, rather than 19 or whatever?

Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by InUtero)
    1) Would a CertHe be enough to gain entry into a university? I wouldn't do the third year of my course if so.
    2) Is it harder for me to gain entry into a university in Scotland or England as I'm from Northern Ireland?
    3) Not really relevant to the topic - but would it be bad for me at age 23 or 24 to only be going to university at that age, rather than 19 or whatever?

Thank you.
    1) yes - but you would need to check with any specific universities you are considering.
    2) makes no difference
    3) there are plenty of mature students at university

What course are you considering?

BUT what about funding? You will already have used up some of your Student Finance entitlement. You will need to check with SFNI about how much addiitonal funding they would make available.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 3, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
How are you feeling about doing A-levels?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.