Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

Should I drop out of uni?

ReputationRep:
    I have been at uni for just over a week now but am having thoughts about dropping out. I feel so homesick and have cried pretty much everyday. I have always been such a home person and I don't know how to cope with this homesickness. I have such a close family back at home and I miss them so much. However, I worked so so hard throughout a levels to get the grades to get into a good uni and I hate the thought of it being a waste of time. I also have no idea what kind of job I would do if I went back home. Does anyone have any help or advice?

ReputationRep:
    Omgg please don't cryy. I would be doing exactly the same thing right now if I was in your position (applying to university now) and dreading that but hey. You have worked all your life to get where you are right now, constantly for the past 2 years doing your a levels and getting amazing grades, work hard and get accepted in a good uni then to go home after missing them. TRUST ME, I would be weeping for weeks, so I don't blame you for feeling the way you do, please please pleaseee don't take offence in what I am saying, I honestly hope I don't sound mean, I am just trying to tell you that you shouldn't. Your family love and adore you and must be so proud to have their child in university so by staying, you would be making them even more proud. They will always be there for you to go see, visit, video chat and call every minute of the day, of course the first week is hard - it will always be hard but you have to make yourself a strong person and bear through the pain of missing them for the next few weeks and make yourself happy. They wouldn't want you to be hurting this much without them, so try to adjust and enjoy yourself as it has only been your first week too! You can do this, you can talk to your family always, tell your friends and vent to them about how you feel but don't drop out. University is an opportunity of a lifetime - and if you are fortunate to go, then don't waste it. I believe in you

PS. if you ever feel the need to vent, you can message me and I will never judge, just listen. xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kelseycharlish)
    I have been at uni for just over a week now but am having thoughts about dropping out. I feel so homesick and have cried pretty much everyday. I have always been such a home person and I don't know how to cope with this homesickness. I have such a close family back at home and I miss them so much.
    It's okay to feel a bit homesick when studying away from home or family. However, to feel homesick to such an extent that you would sacrifice your higher education and consequentially your career prospects, it is not a normal thing. Everyone will have to move on from their family- it happens when you go to university, get a job, move to a new home, settle down, etc. If you can't handle being seperated even for a month, I think you're going to need more than a TSR consultation. Consider seeing a counselor- there will be no shortage of those at universities as they frequently come across homesick students. You need to be able leave the nest for longer than mere weeks if you want to take full advantage of the opportunities life will provide you.

ReputationRep:
    You *could* drop out and defer until next September when you'll hopefully be a bit more ready bit I'd really urge you to try to stick it out a bit longer to see if you can adjust.

You need to find someone to talk to, you could try your uni's counselling service, your personal tutor or trying to make some friends on here.

Are you able to get home for a weekend at some point? It's not something you want to be doing every week but would give you something to look forward to.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Get over it. Seriously. Call your family when you miss them or Skype. Don't consider dropping out unless you have actual issues (personally or with your course), you'll just regret it if you defer because of homesickness.

ReputationRep:
    Just look at it as a few weeks away between the middle of October and the early part of December and that may help to place some perspective on the situation.What you are feeling is perfectly normal.It will get better.

ReputationRep:
    Hmmmn. All I can say is never let your emotions to control your mind. Do not give up your bigger dream over small issues. I believe even the people miss at home will no be happy if u fail their expectations. For their sake don't drop out of the uni . on top of that there are other options that can always keep u in touch with them: video calls, texts, phone calls and others. If at all that's not satisfactory weekends are always there for u to go and spend some time with them. And ff there's an option of commuting take it. Some times u have to man up. Being alone has a lot of benefits. Am sure u will learn more on how the world moves. Take it as a step to another life, the life of maturity. Personally I have not always been in touch with family for long now. But with time I got used and I actually enjoy it now. I tell u,u have a lot to learn from new friends.

ReputationRep:
    It's only been a week. Be patient because as each day goes by the easier it'll get. Homesickness will pass.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kelseycharlish)
    I have been at uni for just over a week now but am having thoughts about dropping out. I feel so homesick and have cried pretty much everyday. I have always been such a home person and I don't know how to cope with this homesickness. I have such a close family back at home and I miss them so much. However, I worked so so hard throughout a levels to get the grades to get into a good uni and I hate the thought of it being a waste of time. I also have no idea what kind of job I would do if I went back home. Does anyone have any help or advice?
    Hello ,

What you are feeling is pretty common - don't feel like you are alone in this. It's understandable that it's hitting you hard as you have a close family back home and it's just the adjustment period. You haven't learn how to be independent and be alone yet so you're jumping to an irrational decision because you believe it's the right thing to do, but it isn't.

As you've said, you've worked hard to get where you are - there wouldn't be any point of throwing it all away and just get some crappy job that you don't really want so you can be with your family. You're going to have to move away from your family one day - that's the reality of it - why not do it now when there are plenty of things to keep you distracted.

Why don't you go home at the weekends to see your family if that helps you get through? Ring them everyday - I talk to my family everyday because it helps me. There is no shame in it. You will cope - you've just got to allow time for adjustment.

You can do it - you are stronger than you think. Get stuck into your course and knuckle down - you can do it!

Good luck

Poll
Do you have exam superstitions?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.