The Student Room Group

What does Mr Birling say about responsibility in An Inspector Calls?

I'm studying about Mr Birling and since I'm in yr 10, most of you will know tests and questions will be popping up. I'm kind of behind in class since I've missed loads of lessons in school, so I'm hoping you guys would help me:smile:

Need a brief explanation about An Inspector Calls as well:smile:
Original post by GCSE_18
I'm studying about Mr Birling and since I'm in yr 10, most of you will know tests and questions will be popping up. I'm kind of behind in class since I've missed loads of lessons in school, so I'm hoping you guys would help me:smile:

Need a brief explanation about An Inspector Calls as well:smile:

You need to read the play!
Have a look at what Mr Birling says in his speech to Eric and Gerald just before the Inspector arrives.Who does he say a man has to care for (and presumably not anyone else)?
Look at how he responds when he is told about the death of Eva Smith. Does he feel responsible?
There is some good information here:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/education/guides/zpf3gk7/revision/2
Reply 2
Obviously reading the play is always your best bet if you want a deeper understanding, but if you don't find it interesting then you won't engage with it, so you won't get much out of it. I would say watch it first in that case, the new adaptation with David Thewlis as the inspector is very good. Watch that then try to read the play and you might find that you pick up on more than you would have otherwise. But as said already pay attention to what Mr Birling says to Eric and Gerald, that's where you'll find most of what you're looking for.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Lit teacher
You need to read the play!
Have a look at what Mr Birling says in his speech to Eric and Gerald just before the Inspector arrives.Who does he say a man has to care for (and presumably not anyone else)?
Look at how he responds when he is told about the death of Eva Smith. Does he feel responsible?
There is some good information here:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/education/guides/zpf3gk7/revision/2

Thank you so much. Helped a lot:smile:
Original post by NicolaClaire
Obviously reading the play is always your best bet if you want a deeper understanding, but if you don't find it interesting then you won't engage with it, so you won't get much out of it. I would say watch it first in that case, the new adaptation with David Thewlis as the inspector is very good. Watch that then try to read the play and you might find that you pick up on more than you would have otherwise. But as said already pay attention to what Mr Birling says to Eric and Gerald, that's where you'll find most of what you're looking for.

Oh ok thank you:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending