Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

2x^2+(3-K)x+K+3=0 Maths help? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I have to find the range of values K could have for 2x^2+(3-K)x+K+3=0 to have two real distinct roots. If someone understands this, please help out!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~xSarahx~)
    I have to find the range of values K could have for 2x^2+(3-K)x+K+3=0 to have two real distinct roots. If someone understands this, please help out!
    for the quadratic  \displaystyle ax^2 +bx + c to have two distinct roots  \displaystyle b^2 - 4ac > 0

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DylanJ42)
    for the quadratic  \displaystyle ax^2 +bx + c to have two distinct roots  \displaystyle b^2 - 4ac > 0
    Thanks! I understand that but I just honestly don't understand how to figure this whole thing out :/ I can't really find any good examples online and it's just really confusing me.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks! I understand that but I just honestly don't understand how to figure this whole thing out :/ I can't really find any good examples online and it's just really confusing me.
    In your quadratic what do you think a=, b= and c= ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    do you understand the quadratic formula, or at least how it gets you the roots of a quadratic?

well the quadratic formula tells us that the roots of the quadratic equation  \displaystyle ax^2 + bx + c = 0 are  \displaystyle x = \frac{-b \pm \sqrt{b^2 - 4ac}}{2a}

As you know you cannot square root a negative number so in order for real roots to exist the part under the square root sign must be > 0.

If the part under the square root is zero we end up with  \displaystyle x = \frac{-b \pm \sqrt{0}}{2a} which means both roots are the same. You still get 2 roots but they are same ie not distinct roots.

Finally if the part under the sqaure root is positive then you get two distinct roots, namely  \displaystyle x = \frac{-b + \sqrt{b^2 - 4ac}}{2a} and  \displaystyle x = \frac{-b - \sqrt{b^2 - 4ac}}{2a}

In Summary;

So if a quadratic has no real roots then the part under the square root sign is negative ie  \displaystyle b^2 - 4ac < 0

If a quadratic has a repeated root (this means both x values you find from the quadratic formula are the same) then the part under the square root sign is equal to 0 ie  \displaystyle b^2 - 4ac = 0

Finally if a quadratic has two distinct roots then the part under the square root is > 0 ie  \displaystyle b^2 - 4ac > 0

I hope this clears it up at least a little for you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gdunne42)
    In your quadratic what do you think a=, b= and c= ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That's another issue I'm having.
    so
    a= 2xˆ2

but I'm not sure where that x between (3-k) and k+3 goes.

is it
    b= (3-k)x OR b=(3-k)

c=k+3 OR c=x+K+3

I've never done this with k before which is why i'm so useless at this...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DylanJ42)
    do you understand the quadratic formula, or at least how it gets you the roots of a quadratic?

well the quadratic formula tells us that the roots of the quadratic equation  \displaystyle ax^2 + bx + c = 0 are  \displaystyle x = \frac{-b \pm \sqrt{b^2 - 4ac}}{2a}

As you know you cannot square root a negative number so in order for real roots to exist the part under the square root sign must be > 0.

If the part under the square root is zero we end up with  \displaystyle x = \frac{-b \pm \sqrt{0}}{2a} which means both roots are the same. You still get 2 roots but they are same ie not distinct roots.

Finally if the part under the sqaure root is positive then you get two distinct roots, namely  \displaystyle x = \frac{-b + \sqrt{b^2 - 4ac}}{2a} and  \displaystyle x = \frac{-b - \sqrt{b^2 - 4ac}}{2a}

In Summary;

So if a quadratic has no real roots then the part under the square root sign is negative ie  \displaystyle b^2 - 4ac < 0

If a quadratic has a repeated root (this means both x values you find from the quadratic formula are the same) then the part under the square root sign is equal to 0 ie  \displaystyle b^2 - 4ac = 0

Finally if a quadratic has two distinct roots then the part under the square root is > 0 ie  \displaystyle b^2 - 4ac > 0

I hope this clears it up at least a little for you
    Thank you for explaining it out like that! The question is starting to make more sense for me!

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps this way will make it clearer.

For the equation (a)x^2 + (b)x + (c) = 0, we want b^2-4ac > 0.

Your equation is

(2)x^2 + (3-k)x + (k+3) = 0

Perhaps looking at it that way will make it a little easier to understand.

ReputationRep:
    That's another issue I'm having.
    so
    a= 2xˆ2

but I'm not sure where that x between (3-k) and k+3 goes.

is it
    b= (3-k)x OR b=(3-k)

c=k+3 OR c=x+K+3

I've never done this with k before which is why i'm so useless at this...

a is the coefficient of the x^2 term = 2
    b is the coefficient of the x term = (3-k)
    c is the constant at the end = (k+3)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for explaining it out like that! The question is starting to make more sense for me!
    youll get by if you learn off the summary part at the bottom. Just know whether to use  \displaystyle b^2 - 4ac > 0 , \displaystyle  b^2 - 4ac = 0 ,  \displaystyle  b^2 - 4ac < 0 depending on whether they ask for 2 distinct roots, 1 repeated root or 0 real roots

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sammygmfc)
    Perhaps this way will make it clearer.

For the equation (a)x^2 + (b)x + (c) = 0, we want b^2-4ac > 0.

Your equation is

(2)x^2 + (3-k)x + (k+3) = 0

Perhaps looking at it that way will make it a little easier to understand.
    Oh oh ohhhh!

So...perhaps

(3-k)ˆ2 - (4x2x[k+3]) > 0 would be..right? Or am I still not getting it?

ReputationRep:
    Oh oh ohhhh!

So...perhaps

That's it

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Oh oh ohhhh!

So...perhaps

That's right. Then solve to find the set of values for which k could be.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.