Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

Maths with further pure or mechanics modules?

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

I have the choice of two maths courses, I don't know which one would be better for me. I can either take "Pure Mathematics" (C1-4, FP1&2) OR "Mathematics (with mechanics)" (C1-4, M1&2).

I am aiming to do a degree in computer science. I am studying (along with maths): Computer Science, RE, Psychology.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jor64)
    Hi all,

I have the choice of two maths courses, I don't know which one would be better for me. I can either take "Pure Mathematics" (C1-4, FP1&2) OR "Mathematics (with mechanics)" (C1-4, M1&2).

I am aiming to do a degree in computer science. I am studying (along with maths): Computer Science, RE, Psychology.
    The more relevant option would be pure maths, though it is in my opinion the harder option.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I find FP1 easier than M1, but M1 is a bit more interesting.
    Maybe check the spec for both? And read a little and see which one interests you?

ReputationRep:
    I found M1 to be very dull, personally, however a lot of my friends enjoyed it. I'd certainly say that for computer science FP1 and FP2 are much more relevant. Not sure how possible it is, but is there any way you could start by doing both and decide after a couple of weeks?

Poll
Do you have exam superstitions?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.