Chance of Oxford with average grades?

University Navigation

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Just wondering what chances I'll have of Oxford with my grades and course choice. I am applying for a course with about 250 applicants for roughly 27-30 spaces, entry requirements of AAA. I have been predicted AAA and received AABB at AS and GCSE grades of mostly A*s and a few As.
    I also have to take the TSA, how much weight do you think they put on this? Would a high score in this and a strong personal statement give me chance or is it still highly unlikely?

Thanks
    Lucy xx

ReputationRep:
    F u

ReputationRep:
    From what I understand it's certainly possible to get into Oxford with those grades (as long as your predicted grades match with the entry requirements which you can easily check)

I think the most important things are performance at interview and in whatever admissions tests you have to do. I doubt many (if any) people get in with poor performances in both of those.

In any case - it's got to be worth a shot if you think you can do well in interview and the admissions test! Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lucyloo248)
    Hi,

Just wondering what chances I'll have of Oxford with my grades and course choice. I am applying for a course with about 250 applicants for roughly 27-30 spaces, entry requirements of AAA. I have been predicted AAA and received AABB at AS and GCSE grades of mostly A*s and a few As.
    I also have to take the TSA, how much weight do you think they put on this? Would a high score in this and a strong personal statement give me chance or is it still highly unlikely?

Thanks
    Lucy xx
    A lot of people go up a grade from AS to A2 so you could be looking at A*A*A which would definitely give you a very very good chance.

ReputationRep:
    Interesting definition of 'average grades'...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AlexS101)
    Interesting definition of 'average grades'...
    Sorry - I meant average in terms of Oxford as I haven't ever personally known anyone get in without grades a lot higher. At the open day they said how most people get A*AA or A*A*A and I have AAA so was just wondering.

ReputationRep:
    i'm applying to oxford with 3A's and a B and mainly A* at GCSE. People who i have spoken to have got into oxford with the grades you have so no need to worry, just gotta nail that TSA and interview

ReputationRep:
    Sorry - I meant average in terms of Oxford as I haven't ever personally known anyone get in without grades a lot higher. At the open day they said how most people get A*AA or A*A*A and I have AAA so was just wondering.
    The reason people who get in have those grades isn't necessarily because they get accepted because of the grades, but more because the kinds of people who are capable of performing well at Oxford are also capable of getting very high grades. Don't think of it as a requirement, more of an indication.

ReputationRep:
    I thought i was average with my crap GCSE's, LITERALLY CRAP!! ABBBBCCC and AAAB at AS, looks like ive got no chance at oxford

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DeclanThatcher)
    I thought i was average with my crap GCSE's, LITERALLY CRAP!! ABBBBCCC and AAAB at AS, looks like ive got no chance at oxford
    Don't put yourself down. AAAB at AS is fantastic. In my opinion, GCSE's are more of a reflection upon whether or not you realised they were important and actually revised. I know many people who had weaker GCSE's but did fantastically at A level. Furthermore, Oxford and Cambridge are not the be all and end all. There are hundreds of other absolutely amazing universities such as all the Russell group universities and many others. Do not got to a certain university purely because its supposed to be the best. Apply to a university where you can see yourself fulfilling and surpassing your potential academically, emotionally, socially and physically. For some this is Oxbridge and for others it may be Leeds, or Sheffield or Southampton! Good luck and do not be discouraged. Have self belief and aim high.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Thanks
    Lucy xx

Yes, the second B at AS Level is a bit of a disadvantage, as an admissions tutor is going to be concerned about whether you could meet an offer of AAA. I don't know your course choice or AS subjects, but the extent of this would depend on the relevance of your B-grade subjects to your course.

That said, this obstacle is smaller than you think. You're still pretty likely to get an interview, depending on your TSA score. Really, the TSA and interview are going to be the crucial factors, and doing well in both would absolutely outweigh concerns about your grades. Your personal statement is fairly inconsequential, except as a potential talking point in interviews.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, exactly, was trying to put it like that but couldnt think of the words pmsl!

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 4, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you prefer to be told about sex by your:

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.