3rd class honours

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi, so my final grade was a 3rd Honours. would like some advice on how to change that grade to a 2.1 etc.
    Was thinking of transferring credits, or doing a conversion course any ideas would be nice.

ReputationRep:
    If you do a masters or PhD then your undergrad degree class won't mean much. I haven't heard of ways to improve your degree class once you've finished the degree though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x__justmyluck)
    If you do a masters or PhD then your undergrad degree class won't mean much. I haven't heard of ways to improve your degree class once you've finished the degree though.
    Same. I don't think you can retake modules at university (although you can try checking with your department). Masters could be an alternative, however you can make up for it with work experience especially for non academic roles. getting onto a phd program and finishing it would be difficult with a third unless there was some specific reason for getting a third unrelated to the course. Getting onto masters courses is fairly easy as they aren't generally as competitive (though this depends on the course).

(Original post by raquel324)
    Hi, so my final grade was a 3rd Honours. would like some advice on how to change that grade to a 2.1 etc.
    Was thinking of transferring credits, or doing a conversion course any ideas would be nice.
    By final grade you mean end of final year or just hear one or two?

If its degree grade then you cant change it.

If its one year, then you will have to work harder in the other years and score higher.

There is no transfer of credits or conversion course that would help you.

ReputationRep:
    No, why would you even think this was possible?

You won't get on a decent postgrad course with that grade, not until you have a significant amount of work experience. By which time a 3rd won't be a hindrance.

Time to go get a job. Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    You might conceivably be able to transfer your L1 and 2 credits to the OU, and do L3 modules to effectively get a new degree. You wouldn't get a loan for it, though.

ReputationRep:
    Very hard to get onto a masters degree course with a 3rd, unless you can explain why it happened. Also very hard to get a grad scheme with a 3rd as well, the whole system is stupid. Best bet would be to apply for jobs in smaller companies. Or maybe consider a Post grad diploma?

ReputationRep:
    You completed your degree you can't continue on studying for it - the only way for you to get a 2:1 is too try using the Open University Top-up program and resit your DipHE/HND from completing the second year if they let you do it. I don't believe you are 'clever' and you'll be wasting your time doing a masters.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 5, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Would you prefer to be told about sex by your:
Useful resources
Study resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.