Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

Urgent help needed_ does it matter which college at uni i chose

ReputationRep:
    Thinking of applying to Oxford and Durham for Eco n management, does it matter which college I apply to? For example would I be more likely to get into a college that takes more economics and management students/private school students? or should i pick a uni which i actually like n not base it on intake percentages???????? HELLLLLLLLLLLLP

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ineedA)
    Thinking of applying to Oxford and Durham for Eco n management, does it matter which college I apply to? For example would I be more likely to get into a college that takes more economics and management students/private school students? or should i pick a uni which i actually like n not base it on intake percentages???????? HELLLLLLLLLLLLP
    No, it doesn't. At Oxford they take great care to look at all appications across the colleges, and it sometimes happens that an application is re-routed from a college that is significantly over-subscribed to one that is less so, before the interview stage. At Durham, you are accepted by the faculty first, and then the college considers you. If the college you've applied to can't take you, your application is passed on to another.

There is no point in trying to 'game' the system - applying for less 'popular' colleges or courses won't improve your chances of success.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Minerva)
    No, it doesn't. At Oxford they take great care to look at all appications across the colleges, and it sometimes happens that an application is re-routed from a college that is significantly over-subscribed to one that is less so, before the interview stage. At Durham, you are accepted by the faculty first, and then the college considers you. If the college you've applied to can't take you, your application is passed on to another.

There is no point in trying to 'game' the system - applying for less 'popular' colleges or courses won't improve your chances of success.
    Thank you so much! just to clarify, at durham the uni decides whether or not it wants you- and if it does, you are certain of a place? Also for oxford, more colleges accept more applicants for certain degrees than others, are you sure i'll have an equal chance applying for all colleges?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ineedA)
    Thank you so much! just to clarify, at durham the uni decides whether or not it wants you- and if it does, you are certain of a place? Also for oxford, more colleges accept more applicants for certain degrees than others, are you sure i'll have an equal chance applying for all colleges?
    At Durham the department/faculty decides whether they want you or not and it would be most unusual for an applicant not to be offered a college, even if it wasn't the one they originally applied to.

At Oxford, whichever course you apply for, you will have an equal chance across all colleges, as a great deal of trouble is taken to ensure a consistent standard across all applicants. Whether your chances will be improved by applying for one course rather than another is impossible to say, because it isn't just a matter of numbers of places. The essential thing is that you need to be able to convince them that you are really committed to that choice.

ReputationRep:
    No, they have a system in place such that it doesn't matter. Choose the college you'd most like to live at for 3 years.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply
Updated: October 3, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Which party will you be voting for in the General Election 2017?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.