The Student Room Group

Has anyone got any idea how sensitive flat smoke detectors are?

So I'm in catered accommodation but noodles and awful ready meals are already driving me a little bit mad. I currently have a George Foreman grill but I'm paranoid as hell to use it. Has anyone used appliances similar to a grill in catered accommodation before without the fire alarms going off? I'd imagine if I have the same type of fire alarm as self-catered students it should be okay but I'm not really fond of the idea of being evacuated for a bit of bacon.
My halls had heat detectors in the kitchens as opposed to smoke which were fine. Best thing to do would be to check with building management. Can't imagine a george foreman being any more likely then frying to set them off
Reply 2
they are very sensitive where I live (accommodation), they went off three times last week
I know a lot more about smoke detectors than most humans should, and it's not possible to say how sensitive it is. Some are quite sophisticated and will only go off if there is actual smoke in the room, others will go off if there's steam or stuff like deodorant in the air. Similarly, each manufacturer will use a different algorithm for signalling alarms, plus there's tolerances in the components AND variations in the quality of air flow in the detector, and this varies between each detector depending on the conditions it's put in. In a kitchen it might be less sensitive due to a build up of grease/fat.

My inkling would be that if making a couple of slices of toast or cooking in a pan normally doesn't set it off then the George Foreman grill should be fine.
Reply 4
You see I only have a kitchenette, the type of kitchen with no windows and can only fit one person in at a stretch, so I feel like any cooking I want to do with it has to be in my room with a desk fan carefully aimed so the smoke/steam goes out of the window. I think I'll give it a proper try tomorrow and if the fire alarm does set off I'll say I had a sock on my lamp or something.
different types have different characteristics - e.g. ionisation type goes absolutely crazy about you making toast or pizza but doesn't seem to give too much of a damn about the greasy type of smoke from frying. Private landlords seem to love this type...
proper student halls should be clever enough to have the heat sensitive type detectors in cooking areas - and they need a lot of heat to make them go off.
Reply 6
You don't need noodles and ready meals. You can cook almost anything in a microwave - google some recipes.

Quick Reply

Latest