Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

M4 help!!! Report awarded Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Self teaching m4 so any help would be greatly appreciated.I feel like the form the question requires is incorrect and the cos (theta/2) should instead be sin (theta/2) but I'm not sure.

A uniform rod AB of mass m and length 2a is free to rotate in a vertical plane about the end A. A light elastic string of modulus kmg and natural length a has one ebd attached to B and the other end fixed to a point O which is vertically above A such that OA=2a. Show that when AB makes an angle theta with the dowand vertical and the string us streched the potential energy of the system is given by

V=mga[(4k-1)costheta-4kcos (theta/2)]+constant

Also please include diagram if possible
    • Study Helper

(Original post by Sapereaude45)
    Self teaching m4 so any help would be greatly appreciated.I feel like the form the question requires is incorrect and the cos (theta/2) should instead be sin (theta/2) but I'm not sure.

A uniform rod AB of mass m and length 2a is free to rotate in a vertical plane about the end A. A light elastic string of modulus kmg and natural length a has one ebd attached to B and the other end fixed to a point O which is vertically above A such that OA=2a. Show that when AB makes an angle theta with the dowand vertical and the string us streched the potential energy of the system is given by

V=mga[(4k-1)costheta-4kcos (theta/2)]+constant

Also please include diagram if possible
    I agree with their answer.

Post some working if you'd like someone to check.

I got the extension as a(4\cos\frac{\theta}{2}-1)

And here's a diagram, though you should have that correctly yourself:

Name:  Untitled.jpg
Views: 19
Size:  14.8 KB

ReputationRep:
    I did exactly that.However Ihad my angle t in the wrong place-this was an issue I had in m2 aswell. Where should I put the angle if it says with the donward vertical? Sorry for what should seem obvious but I have no teachers helping me with this module

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ghostwalker)
    I agree with their answer.

Post some working if you'd like someone to check.

I got the extension as a(4\cos\frac{\theta}{2}-1)

And here's a diagram, though you should have that correctly yourself:

Name:  Untitled.jpg
Views: 19
Size:  14.8 KB
    Sorry reply above phone's playing up.
    • Study Helper

(Original post by Sapereaude45)
    I did exactly that.However Ihad my angle t in the wrong place-this was an issue I had in m2 aswell. Where should I put the angle if it says with the donward vertical? Sorry for what should seem obvious but I have no teachers helping me with this module
    The downward vertical through a point, is the vertical line starting at that point and going downwards, This forms one of two lines that define the angle.

In this case we have the angle at A, defined by the line from A to B, and the line from A going vertically downwards. Hence....

Does that cover it?

Edit: Signing off for the night.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ghostwalker)
    The downward vertical through a point, is the vertical line starting at that point and going downwards, This forms one of two lines that define the angle.

In this case we have the angle at A, defined by the line from A to B, and the line from A going vertically downwards. Hence....

Does that cover it?

Edit: Signing off for the night.
    Yep all covered! Managed to get the correct form the question required too.
    Thanks for all your help.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.