The Student Room Group

Masters@Oxford

Dear friends,

finally, I have managed to open my own thread here, as I was never sure whether this might be helpful or not.

I currently study at a German graduate school (WHU Koblenz - normally ranked #1 for business studies in Germany), but I have had some organisational problems at my uni during the last months...

Just to introduce you to the system of my uni:

After three semesters we receive the "pre-diploma" and finish our undergraduate studies which are followed by a year abroad. The last three semesters are dedicated to graduate coursework. After eight semesters we receive our "diploma".
However, following the process of Bologna and given the fact that my school offers very quick undergraduate studies (4 semesters are common in Germany), from next year on, a BSc will take two years and the MSc two more.

During my year abroad, I have sudied at the Sciences Po Paris which most of you may know. However, I struggled to study business administration at a university being world famous for its research in political theory. Having been admitted to graduate studies in political science, I studied political science during my first semester abroad. My university got quite upset about this (I still cannot face that people think economy and politics were separate and - which is very sad - to be managed separately) and now tries to force me to return to Paris for another semester after my diploma in order to repeat what I have "missed".
My grades in Paris, despite the fact that I have never studied political science, philosophy or political theory before, were always among the best in class. Optimistically speaking, one might say I had proven that business school students do not think in a single dimension...

What does this lead us to? I will complete my second semester abroad at the Ohio State University in their MBA class (which should "prove" that I am on longer an undergraduate student, right?) and then return to my university in Koblenz...or not!
THAT'S WHY I am asking you guys for your council: Would you think that I am eligible and/or interesting to Oxford when applying for graduate studies (my favourite would be the MSc in Financial Economics which is NEW)?

As for my academic and professional credentials:

A-levels in Germany (I really don't know the British system, maybe someone from Germany can help here...?): 1,0 (best grade possible)
Undergraduate studies: 1,6 (top 8 students at uni, I was told this were translated as 'borderline first class honours')

Professional experience: I have co-founded two start-ups, worked with Heidrick & Struggles, Computacenter, Roland Berger Strategy Consultants and currently with JPMorgan (in their Equity Derivatives Group). These are all internships.

Last time I took the GMAT I failed. I scored 660 but I am definitely willing to give my best next time.

Guys, maybe someone can help me out of this confusion. This is a topic that has occupied me for quite some time and now I feel it is about time to take a decision.

Thank you very, very much!
Reply 1
Unfortunately, you're unlikely to receive a knowledgable answer to your question - very few graduates students visit this site. Certainly you have some impressive achievements, and on the face of it you're a strong candidate. However, how you'd compare with other graduate candidates I can't say.

The graduate students I know of, who you could try contacting through a Private Message or maybe email, are Davey_Boy, Fluffy, and BabyBallerina.
Reply 2
black&scholes

A-levels in Germany (I really don't know the British system, maybe someone from Germany can help here...?): 1,0 (best grade possible)!

I can't spell it but its the abertuir richt? (I'm spelling it phonetically) A couple of my friends at Oxford are german, one did their A-levels in the UK, the other did the abertuir, she got 1.0. The thing is its utterly different from UK A-levels but effectively a score of 1.0 will get you into any university in the UK for undergraduate degrees and will look strong for post grad stuff as well.
I can't really help you to be honest. Best contact the university directly and ask them how they 'translate' German qualifications to UK entry requirements.

I'm doinga PhD and it's in Biology so not really related to anything you'd wish to study.
Reply 4
I'm German, but did my undergraduate studies in England (Essex). I have since applied to Oxford and Cambridge and been accepted by both (for History).
From going through the application process I can just say that the Abitur is actually relatively irrelevant for postgraduate courses - you don't even put your marks anywhere on the application form. From what I gather from my friends who are studying in Germany an average of 1.6 for your studies at university so far sounds excellent.
Apart from that it sounds as if you've done quite well and should have sufficient experience to start on a postgraduate course. So how long have you actually been at university for - three semesters in Koblenz, one in Paris and one in Ohio?
Tommyboy,

exactly! As far as I know, the German "Vordiplom"+two semesters is supposed to be "equal" to a BSc. Might that be sufficient for graduate studies at Oxford?
Reply 6
black&scholes
Tommyboy,

exactly! As far as I know, the German "Vordiplom"+two semesters is supposed to be "equal" to a BSc. Might that be sufficient for graduate studies at Oxford?

That's what I was thinking. A BSc is certainly enough to start a Masters, but on the other hand they may want to see a completed Diplom (with which you might also be able to do a PhD rather than a Masters).
Basically you have done 2.5 years so far, whereas the average UK candidate would have done 3 (or possibly 4 depending on the course). But this is only because you did the Vordiplom more quickly than most other people in Germany. Also, if you have taken graduate courses that will probably sound quite good. I guess this is one of those cases that will really have to be "considered on an individual basis" (as so many university prospectuses state). Contact the Oxford Admissions Office!!! In my humble opinion you seem to have done just as much (if not more - considering the courses you've taken in Paris and Ohio!) study as the average UK candidate, and should therefore definitely be in a positin to apply.

Latest

Trending

Trending