The Student Room Group

The "Treat her mean, keep her keen" philosophy.

First of all, i wanna say how I don't believe this philosophy but it's weird this time.

So over the past few months, I've had my first girlfriend.

It was for 2 weeks and I broke up with her because she was too clingy. A couple of days later she came up to me and I walked away and said I had to go home during lunch, of course she saw me 20 mins later and said "oi, you're a f*cking liar" and I thought "Yes I'm a liar, stay away from me because no one likes liars" Then she came back a day later flirting with me.

I've pretty much given all hints that I don't wanna be with her but she keeps coming back.

I've seen it happen with my friend where they just flirt with girls and leave them and the girls really wanted them but they shoved them off.

Of course I don't wanna believe this phrase but I can't help but believe it's slightly true.
Reply 1
Original post by Longshot002
First of all, i wanna say how I don't believe this philosophy but it's weird this time.

So over the past few months, I've had my first girlfriend.

It was for 2 weeks and I broke up with her because she was too clingy. A couple of days later she came up to me and I walked away and said I had to go home during lunch, of course she saw me 20 mins later and said "oi, you're a f*cking liar" and I thought "Yes I'm a liar, stay away from me because no one likes liars" Then she came back a day later flirting with me.

I've pretty much given all hints that I don't wanna be with her but she keeps coming back.

I've seen it happen with my friend where they just flirt with girls and leave them and the girls really wanted them but they shoved them off.

Of course I don't wanna believe this phrase but I can't help but believe it's slightly true.

It doesn't work with all girls though. I tried that approach with another girl and she never even bothered talking to me again :lol:

I'm sure that the fact that she's your ex, she's clingy and you only recently broke up may explain her trying to get your attention.

I think it's because a lot of people like receiving attention so if you take that away from them, they're going to try and get that back from you. It's a psychological thing but I guess that's why people play games such as waiting an equal amount of time to respond to a text. Don't give her any attention at all, then she'll eventually give up.
'Treat them mean keep them keen' tends to attract a certain kind of girl. Ones with low self-esteem. And they tend not to make the best girlfriends because they're constantly seeking validation and reassurance which gets irritating quickly. It's also a policy that tends to be deployed by little boys who are playing at being the big hard man, and usually ends up with much mockery behind the scenes. Altogether - a bad idea.
Original post by Reality Check
'Treat them mean keep them keen' tends to attract a certain kind of girl. Ones with low self-esteem. And they tend not to make the best girlfriends because they're constantly seeking validation and reassurance which gets irritating quickly. It's also a policy that tends to be deployed by little boys who are playing at being the big hard man, and usually ends up with much mockery behind the scenes. Altogether - a bad idea.

Seconded. Girls with self respect know what they want and won't fall for that kind of manipulation so easily.
It's a good philosophy, but you've gone too far if you've started using a baseball bat.
Nah.
There had to be a good medium, a little mystery but not too much, a little chase but not too much.
It depends on the girl and the relationship you have with her. It would work with me because I'm needy and I try hard to please people and get their attention. But other girls will have patience for that. So it really does depend on the girl.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending