Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

How to cope with Urges?

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I'm due to be discharged from a PICU (Psychiatric Intensive Care Unit) in a few weeks, and I'll either go to an Open Unit or Home.
    I was wondering what strategies everyone uses when they have urges to do stuff?
    I've been doing DBT so I know the tactics recommended by professionals, but I was wondering if anyone has their own personal things that they can share with me?
    THANKS in advance <3

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *SweaterWeather*)
    Hey, I'm due to be discharged from a PICU (Psychiatric Intensive Care Unit) in a few weeks, and I'll either go to an Open Unit or Home.
    I was wondering what strategies everyone uses when they have urges to do stuff?
    I've been doing DBT so I know the tactics recommended by professionals, but I was wondering if anyone has their own personal things that they can share with me?
    THANKS in advance <3
    I've personally found distraction and replacements helpful. Like if I have an urge to do something that would be inapropriate or not possible i'll try to find something else that gives a simmilar physical feeling or motion. Kinda like trying to trick myself I guess :P
    For me music is usually the best distraction. I have a game on my phone a bit like taptap revenge which helps cos it gets me to use my hands too.

Hope that helps a bit. Good luck where you're going next and congrats on your discharge

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply
Updated: October 4, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Do you have exam superstitions?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.