Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Have my chances of getting into a decent uni hindered from my bad AS results? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    So I want to do computer science when I'm older. I did A-levels previously and I did pretty badly in my AS results as a result of family issues and stress overload (DDEU) and I then decided that A-levels weren't for me.

After that I decided to do a BTEC extended diploma in IT. I worked really hard in my first year as I want to be successful when I'm older, and I got D* D*. I'm now doing UCAS and my predicted grade is D*D*D*, the highest grade you can get at BTEC.
    I have pretty decent GCSE grades if it matters at all (5A,4B)

I checked and these are all of the russell group unis that would accept me if I got D*D*D* (My predicted grade)
    Queen Mary London (D*DD)
    Bristol (D*D*D*)
    Newcastle (D*DD)
    Nottingham (D*D*D*)
    University of Southampton (DDD)

Most universities that are in the top 30 and aren't Russell group would also accept me. For example, Aston is ranked number 9 in the 2017 guardian comp sci rankings and they require DDD.

Furthermore I have 2 weeks work experience at the leading software development company for the estate agent industry in the UK. Its quite a large company (£11 million turnover) and I tested their software capabilities as part of my work experience for BTEC

So would my AS results really hinder my chances that much? What do you think

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.