Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

Financial support for teacher training

ReputationRep:
    Hi all, I am just wondering if someone could calm my fears a bit really!

I am thinking about applying for teacher training but would have a year being unsalaried. I have a mortgage and we would be relying solely on my partners income which is roughly 21,000 a year. This would cover the mortgage and all utility bills but without an income we would not be able to afford petrol and food etc which obviously I would still need!

I am unsure how student finance as I have been doing a part time degree and am wondering what the likelihood is that I would be able to get a loan to cover me for that year. We have worked out that we could manage on about £600 a month but could squeeze tighter if needs be. Does anyone know much about this? I am terrified that I will have to give up my place because I cannot get a loan to live on! I am just worried that the fact that my partner has an income would count against me !

If be grateful for any advice. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Hi Meg,

Can you please clarify what course you are doing? What is the part time degree you have been doing?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I have been doing a part time degree in English lit with the open university and will be doing a PGCE

ReputationRep:
    Hi Meg,

You may be eligible to receive tuition fee loan and maintenance loan. You may also be eligible to receive disable students allowance and supplementary grants if applicable.

I would advise you to make an application so we can assess you correctly and determine which support you will be eligible for.

Thanks

Poll
Which party will you be voting for in the General Election 2017?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.