The Student Room Group

Private tutoring

Hi all,

I am a first class Oxford graduate looking to do some agency-based private tutoring in my spare time (outside my current internship). I have some tutoring experience, mainly with Oxbridge applications but also some other general work. At the moment I'm tutoring with an agency that offers a large range of subjects and levels, so need a charge rate that is applicable to e.g. 11+, GCSE, A level... I've heard of other Oxford grads being able to charge upwards of £100/hour - obviously I'm not going to go that far, but how much do you think is reasonable? £35-40? I don't want to sell myself short if there is the potential that I can charge more, and unfortunately the agency takes a certain portion away and does not pay travel expenses (which are quite expensive in my case).

Thanks in advance for any comments

EDIT BY COMMUNITY TEAM:

This tutoring company pays up to £24 per hour - apply to become a tutor here

Discussion on how to become a tutor here
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by roflcakes1
Hi all,

I am a first class Oxford graduate looking to do some agency-based private tutoring in my spare time (outside my current internship). I have some tutoring experience, mainly with Oxbridge applications but also some other general work. At the moment I'm tutoring with an agency that offers a large range of subjects and levels, so need a charge rate that is applicable to e.g. 11+, GCSE, A level... I've heard of other Oxford grads being able to charge upwards of £100/hour - obviously I'm not going to go that far, but how much do you think is reasonable? £35-40? I don't want to sell myself short if there is the potential that I can charge more, and unfortunately the agency takes a certain portion away and does not pay travel expenses (which are quite expensive in my case).

It would depend on level experiance and the area you live in. If you live in rich area with grama schools obviousley you will be able to charge alot more than if you live in a more deprived area. Also do you have any experiances working with children with SEN or who are ASD? that type of targeted turiition is normally more expensive.
Reply 2
I'd say £35-£40 per hour is ample. I personally would feel it was morally wrong to go higher. If you tutor at £35 per hour three times a week, you make £105 per week, or £420 per month. If you are doing that on top of a salary (as I am) then it is more than reasonable as a supplement to your income.

Even if you tutored for 20 hours a week (i.e. effectively doing that as a full-time job; not saying more than 20 hours as you may need to account for travel time), you'd make £700 a week, or £2800 a month before tax. That's not doing badly. You can always make more than that if you want (I know some people who work all the hours God sends...not that I think you should, as it becomes bad for your health and wellbeing), but that's really not a bad beginning.
Reply 3
Why spend so much time and energy in face to face tutoring. I suggest you try tutoring online. In that case even if you charge less it is compensated by the fact that you do not spend time and money to travel. Explore WizIQ.com or some other sites to get a glimpse of online tutoring.
Original post by roflcakes1
Hi all,

I know people including myself who pay/paid £30-£40 an hour (coming from a low class background)
Obviously you have to be able to teach.
I've probably had 13-14 tutors throughout my life and only about 3 of them were amazingly good and charged a reasonable or lower price to what you're saying.
If you can teach, by all means go for it
Also, depends what you're teaching and what level you're teaching at.
You can't charge £30-£40 an hour for a kid at a primary school but you can to a university student.
Moreover, parents and students look for tutors in maths/science and English, so you are able to charge that amount if yo teach these subjects.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest