Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Reporter Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I managed to get the 4th edition for a 10er. The current 6th edition is £50 quid.

Are there many differences between editions?

ReputationRep:
    The basics, of course, remain the same. But this is 2 editions behind, and is thus rather out of date. Importantly, the papers cited will not have the most up-to-date research - not a killer if you're doing an introductory biochem course at level 4, but maybe more important if bichem is a larger part of your course, or you're doing it to a higher level. In short, I'd say that this book will be useful for the basic stuff, but will need supplementing with something a little more up to date.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Reporter Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reality Check)
    The basics, of course, remain the same. But this is 2 editions behind, and is thus rather out of date. Importantly, the papers cited will not have the most up-to-date research - not a killer if you're doing an introductory biochem course at level 4, but maybe more important if bichem is a larger part of your course, or you're doing it to a higher level. In short, I'd say that this book will be useful for the basic stuff, but will need supplementing with something a little more up to date.
    Thanks. I've asked my lecturer but I think it should be okay. I've looked at the "what's new" and there seem to be introductory studies (stuff I can google) but nothing to suggest chunks of core content has been discounted. I'm doing a biochem degree and wanted to have a tome to refer to for reference purposes. I of course also have the 24 library and the internet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kvothe the Arcane)
    Thanks. I've asked my lecturer but I think it should be okay. I've looked at the "what's new" and there seem to be introductory studies (stuff I can google) but nothing to suggest chunks of core content has been discounted. I'm doing a biochem degree and wanted to have a tome to refer to for reference purposes. I of course also have the 24 library and the internet.
    Yes, exactly right. I personally find Stryer (10th ed) the most useful, but then I know people who swear by Voet & Voet. Best thing is to have a look at a few in the library to see which one 'clicks' with you better. Best of luck.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Reporter Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reality Check)
    Yes, exactly right. I personally find Stryer (10th ed) the most useful, but then I know people who swear by Voet & Voet. Best thing is to have a look at a few in the library to see which one 'clicks' with you better. Best of luck.
    Stryer was the other one recommended :yep:. Voet & Voet is apparently the Gold Standard according to the Amazon brief!

Have you used Brock's Microbiology? I found a 2nd version of the current edition on there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kvothe the Arcane)
    Stryer was the other one recommended :yep:. Voet & Voet is apparently the Gold Standard according to the Amazon brief!

Have you used Brock's Microbiology? I found a 2nd version of the current edition on there.
    I found Voet offputting somehow - I didn't like the way it was written and the explanations seemed less clear than the Stryer. This is, of course, subjective. As for Brock's Micro, yes it's excellent and I' recommend it - particularly if it's a current edition at a good price.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 4, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources

Quick Link:

Unanswered Life Sciences Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.