Not what I expected from my course!

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

So I am a matured student (30 years old) and last year I took the plunge and enrolled my self to university.

The course i am doing is foundation degree in web technologies with a web development pathway.

My first year was okayish. Passed all the 4 modules we did (thank god for that!). Just started the second year and things are not what I expected. I am finding my current module (computer mathematics) extremely hard. I suck at math and hated math for as long as I can remember. In short it is not for me!

I just want to be a coder (html, css, javascript) and maybe a bit of retional databases but what I am im seeing is hard core computer stuff!

I have tried getting in touch with my university and their reply was these are the core modules even if you have taken a web development pathway. You have to do them. Now i am wondering if i am on the right course!

I would hate to waste my time and money!

Any advice will be appreciated and apologies for my English!

ReputationRep:
    I think you should make an appointment with your personal tutor, to discuss this face-to-face. It may be that you can get extra support with maths to help you through the more challenging modules. Do you think it will just be a couple of tricky modules, or is it going to be like this for the rest of the degree? If you really think that you won't be able to cope, it might be better to cut your losses now, and see if it's possible to get some industry qualifications in web design. You should work out what your chances of getting into the industry are without the degree, and weigh that against your chances of succeeding in the degree.

ReputationRep:
    For web development, I heard you may actually be better off doing something like CodeAcademy or similar intensive coding courses rather than a uni degree, since the degree includes all kinds of less-important-for-the-job theory stuff like the maths you mentioned - for some students they are super interested in all the theory behind what they are studying, but it sounds like you are more practically-orientated.*

It might be a good idea to discuss this with your tutor/ head of department/ someone who knows all the details on the course to find out if it is just the one module of theory stuff or whether a significant part of the course will be spent doing maths - if it's just the one course perhaps you can muddle through but otherwise it may be worth considering other options. If you chose to stick it out, see if you can get extra help with the maths - for example some extra classes with the lecturer/ someone in the student support department/ a student in the year above.*

There may also be the opportunity to switch to a different course at the same uni or switch to another uni with a more coding orientated course perhaps?*

ReputationRep:
    I hate to be blunt but that's the standard youre expected to reach.

It isn't supposed to be easy. Its supposed to prepare you for a future career. Making the course extremely easy isn't going to benefit you, and it isn't good for the university's reputation. If you want to be a coder, then its likely youre going to need to know what youre currently being taught, and then a lot more, and in a lot more detail. Employers arent interested in someone who knows a little bit of coding but doesnt really understand 'hard core computer stuff'. Thats exactly what a coder should know. If all you want to do is learn a few coding languages, you could do that at home.*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by julietta2020)
    ...............!
    Good degrees, that get people jobs, are designed around what the jobs/employers need, not what students enjoy. You need to suck it up and do all you can to pass. You can't let one module cloud your impression of a whole course and let it mess up a career plan - it's you that's deciding to waste the money, not the structure of the course.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

So I am a matured student (30 years old) and last year I took the plunge and enrolled my self to university.

The course i am doing is foundation degree in web technologies with a web development pathway.

My first year was okayish. Passed all the 4 modules we did (thank god for that!). Just started the second year and things are not what I expected. I am finding my current module (computer mathematics) extremely hard. I suck at math and hated math for as long as I can remember. In short it is not for me!

I just want to be a coder (html, css, javascript) and maybe a bit of retional databases but what I am im seeing is hard core computer stuff!

I have tried getting in touch with my university and their reply was these are the core modules even if you have taken a web development pathway. You have to do them. Now i am wondering if i am on the right course!

I would hate to waste my time and money!

Any advice will be appreciated and apologies for my English!
    What other CompSci/IT courses does you university offer? CS does tend to include more academic modules (i.e. mathsy) that may not suit you. What about something like Info Systems & Management? That would have relational databases and coding but perhaps without the maths...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    What other CompSci/IT courses does you university offer? CS does tend to include more academic modules (i.e. mathsy) that may not suit you. What about something like Info Systems & Management? That would have relational databases and coding but perhaps without the maths...
    My course is foundation degree in web technologies but according to my university after contacting them is that all computer related courses must do some core modules such as computer mathematics or how to think like a programmer which I have already pass in my first year.

I appreciate all the replies. And I think some people miss understood me with maybe my bad English? But i am not looking for an easy course it's just that I have never been good at math throughout my life and I understand things more by doing (practical) rather than theories. I literelly did not get ANYTHING from my first two sessions in computer mathematics I have so far attended and I guess i am starting to panic if I can really do this?

Been reading text books and online sources for some sort of help ever since. As I need to catch up atleast to get bit of it before my third session. We have an in class test on the 31st of october.

Will try to talk to my tutor and see what help is out there or maybe other options that are available for me. I really want to do this and get to my web development pathway. I just hope I can that's all!

Again I appreciate all the replies I have received so far
    Thank you

ReputationRep:
    My course is foundation degree in web technologies but according to my university after contacting them is that all computer related courses must do some core modules such as computer mathematics or how to think like a programmer which I have already pass in my first year.

I appreciate all the replies. And I think some people miss understood me with maybe my bad English? But i am not looking for an easy course it's just that I have never been good at math throughout my life and I understand things more by doing (practical) rather than theories. I literelly did not get ANYTHING from my first two sessions in computer mathematics I have so far attended and I guess i am starting to panic if I can really do this?

Been reading text books and online sources for some sort of help ever since. As I need to catch up atleast to get bit of it before my third session. We have an in class test on the 31st of october.

Will try to talk to my tutor and see what help is out there or maybe other options that are available for me. I really want to do this and get to my web development pathway. I just hope I can that's all!

Again I appreciate all the replies I have received so far
    Thank you
    Well there is a lot of maths in programming... although it doesn't need to be particularly hard maths as such. Talking to your tutor and reading around the topics is a good plan.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 5, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
What is your favourite day of the week

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.