Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

EPQ

ReputationRep:
    Im starting my epq, but i have no idea on how to start it. My title is 'To what extent does mental health affect criminal sentencing' Ive gathered some data online. However i'm very confused on the structure and what to include.

ReputationRep:
    Draft out a few key points of discussion for the title in order to give a structure for each part of the essay. So part 1 could be about [insert area of discussion], part 2, etc. forming you a few sections. Then you can work on each part until you have a nice long essay.

Of course include an introduction like what is the essay gonna be about, a conclusion to go over what you found and also at the end, list all your references you used such as books and links.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mahenar)
    Im starting my epq, but i have no idea on how to start it. My title is 'To what extent does mental health affect criminal sentencing' Ive gathered some data online. However i'm very confused on the structure and what to include.
    Hi

I did my EPQ with AQA (AQA seems to be the most popular EPQ exam board, so here's some advice for AQA as I don't know much about the other boards)

The essay

Assuming you’re doing the long 5000 word essay, you usually lay it out like this:

1. Introduction (bear in mind that the introduction is often easier to write at the end of the project)

Start by introducing your question, for example: “The question I am researching is '[question here]'", then explain the aim of your project, i.e. what you plan to find out. Also mention what sources of information you will use, and how your essay is going to be structured.

2. Main essay

Here you should discuss all of the main points and arguments which will help to answer your question. This should be the bulk of your essay; remember to use paragraphs and reference any quotes you use so that the examiner can refer to them in the bibliography.

3. Conclusion

In the conclusion you should briefly discuss the most significant points/arguments again and come to a conclusion which answers your original title question.

4. Bibliography

The bibliography should include sources for all images and quotes you use in your essay. Keep a note of the date when you found each source as well and add them in square brackets after each source. If I remember correctly, you need at least three different types of sources of information, for example a book, a website and a TV programme – you get marks specifically for doing this.

The presentation

When you have completed your essay, you’ll need to give a short 10-15 minute presentation on your EPQ topic. The presentation should have slides dedicated to the following: why you chose to do an EPQ, why you chose your specific title, sources of information you used, what you found out, your conclusion, any problems you encountered during the project, benefits of doing an EPQ, what you would do differently if you did the project again, and whether you would recommend doing an EPQ to others. There must also be opportunity for the audience to ask questions, either during the presentation or at the end.

The Log Book

As well as the essay, you’ll also need to complete a Log Book (I think it’s also sometimes called a Production Log) - remember to fill it in thoroughly because this is the part which gets you most of the marks.

You fill in the Log Book at various stages during your EPQ, at the start, middle and end of the project. Inside the Log Book there is guidance on what to include, but I found it very vague, so basically at each stage you’ll write about 1) what has gone well and what has gone badly, 2) any changes you have made to the project e.g. the title, structure etc, 3) what you plan to do next, and 4) any recommendations from your EPQ mentor/supervisor. You also need to write about your presentation, but again, the Log Book will have instructions on what you need to include. At the end of the Log Book there is a section titled ‘Reflection’. Don’t be tempted to skimp on this section, as it’s worth A LOT of marks – they give you an entire page of answer space for a reason!

I hope this gives you a better idea of what to do; if you have any more questions feel free to message me (I got an A in my EPQ)

ReputationRep:
    thankyou so much for your help!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leviathan1741)
    Hi

I did my EPQ with AQA (AQA seems to be the most popular EPQ exam board, so here's some advice for AQA as I don't know much about the other boards)

The essay

Assuming you’re doing the long 5000 word essay, you usually lay it out like this:

1. Introduction (bear in mind that the introduction is often easier to write at the end of the project)

Start by introducing your question, for example: “The question I am researching is '[question here]'", then explain the aim of your project, i.e. what you plan to find out. Also mention what sources of information you will use, and how your essay is going to be structured.

2. Main essay

Here you should discuss all of the main points and arguments which will help to answer your question. This should be the bulk of your essay; remember to use paragraphs and reference any quotes you use so that the examiner can refer to them in the bibliography.

3. Conclusion

In the conclusion you should briefly discuss the most significant points/arguments again and come to a conclusion which answers your original title question.

4. Bibliography

The bibliography should include sources for all images and quotes you use in your essay. Keep a note of the date when you found each source as well and add them in square brackets after each source. If I remember correctly, you need at least three different types of sources of information, for example a book, a website and a TV programme – you get marks specifically for doing this.

The presentation

When you have completed your essay, you’ll need to give a short 10-15 minute presentation on your EPQ topic. The presentation should have slides dedicated to the following: why you chose to do an EPQ, why you chose your specific title, sources of information you used, what you found out, your conclusion, any problems you encountered during the project, benefits of doing an EPQ, what you would do differently if you did the project again, and whether you would recommend doing an EPQ to others. There must also be opportunity for the audience to ask questions, either during the presentation or at the end.

The Log Book

As well as the essay, you’ll also need to complete a Log Book (I think it’s also sometimes called a Production Log) - remember to fill it in thoroughly because this is the part which gets you most of the marks.

You fill in the Log Book at various stages during your EPQ, at the start, middle and end of the project. Inside the Log Book there is guidance on what to include, but I found it very vague, so basically at each stage you’ll write about 1) what has gone well and what has gone badly, 2) any changes you have made to the project e.g. the title, structure etc, 3) what you plan to do next, and 4) any recommendations from your EPQ mentor/supervisor. You also need to write about your presentation, but again, the Log Book will have instructions on what you need to include. At the end of the Log Book there is a section titled ‘Reflection’. Don’t be tempted to skimp on this section, as it’s worth A LOT of marks – they give you an entire page of answer space for a reason!

I hope this gives you a better idea of what to do; if you have any more questions feel free to message me (I got an A in my EPQ)

Hi I've asked my school if I can do an EPQ and they said ild need to be independent and research it and do it all myself so reading that helped a lot! Is the logbook given to me? I'm confused about that or is it something I should constantly document?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cathartic)
    Hi I've asked my school if I can do an EPQ and they said ild need to be independent and research it and do it all myself so reading that helped a lot! Is the logbook given to me? I'm confused about that or is it something I should constantly document?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Are you aware of which exam board you are doing your EPQ with? Each exam board should have blank copies of the Log Book (or their equivalent) and other documentation available on their websites

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leviathan1741)
    Are you aware of which exam board you are doing your EPQ with? Each exam board should have blank copies of the Log Book (or their equivalent) and other documentation available on their websites
    Yes it's the AQA spec thank you I will take a look!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply
Updated: October 6, 2016
Poll
Do you have exam superstitions?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.