Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

Why aren't you a feminist?

ReputationRep:
    I would like to know why people WOULDN'T consider themselves to be a feminist, boys and girls! If you could leave a few reasons why you feel that way in the comments that would be great and so interesting! Thank you! x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gsimona)
    I would like to know why people WOULDN'T consider themselves to be a feminist, boys and girls! If you could leave a few reasons why you feel that way in the comments that would be great and so interesting! Thank you! x
    I consider myself a feminist, however, I also understand why some people don't- imo it's because:

There's a new stigma attached to the word. People think we're man-haters. I'm really not.
    They feel like it's a 'hipster' movement that tumblr users go on about all day.
    They don't understand the actual meaning of the word and think the movement is solely for women's rights and that they should exceed a man's, but really- feminism is a movement based on equality of both sexes.
    They simply do not believe in feminism.

ReputationRep:
    Because I don't believe the western world needs the modern conception of 'feminism'. Women are not hard done by here.

Even if you pretend feminism means equality (which it doesn't any longer in reality), I believe in equitable opportunity, not equality.

For example - parental rights. I d think mothers should have more control through pregnancy etc and thus it be 'unequal' (you don't see 'feminists' arguing for more paternal rights do you, eh?). Or equally, more support for men in domestic abuse than now - too much shift towards women has left vast groups of men at higher risk of suicide, abuse, with little to no places to go.

ReputationRep:
    I believe in equality. Whether or not that makes me a feminist is down to the individual.

Poll
Which party will you be voting for in the General Election 2017?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.