Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Is anyone here who is at college, doing just AS Level Statistics?

I'm really confused again :rolleyes: I know you should have a broad selection of A levels.

I dont like statistics and dont want to take it on as my fourth AS.
    Right now, am just sure about 3 AS Levels - History, Sociology, Economics.
    Is it worth my while doing AS Chemistry? I want an easy A
    If there is any A level students who do chemistry, is it worth it?

I've looked at specimen papers and found them okay!

Snob :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by snob_uk)
    Is anyone here who is at college, doing just AS Level Statistics?

I'm really confused again :rolleyes: I know you should have a broad selection of A levels.

I dont like statistics and dont want to take it on as my fourth AS.
    Right now, am just sure about 3 AS Levels - History, Sociology, Economics.
    Is it worth my while doing AS Chemistry? I want an easy A
    If there is any A level students who do chemistry, is it worth it?

I've looked at specimen papers and found them okay!

Snob :cool:

DO Chem!!! its easy easy easy, basically an invisable AS for the simplicity of it. 'A' guaranteed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vinny2256)
    DO Chem!!! its easy easy easy, basically an invisable AS for the simplicity of it. 'A' guaranteed.
    Lol. I do admire the overblown sarcasm. AS Chemistry is one of the most difficult, and hence more respected AS/A level subjects you can ever take. The only subject that would rival its difficulty in anyway from your choices is probably History, maybe economics. An easy A, never. Look elsewhere for an easy A, but then again, you already have Sociology on the list? You don't need four subjects, don't force yourself to do an extra.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RobbieC)
    Lol. I do admire the overblown sarcasm. AS Chemistry is one of the most difficult, and hence more respected AS/A level subjects you can ever take. The only subject that would rival its difficulty in anyway from your choices is probably History, maybe economics. An easy A, never. Look elsewhere for an easy A, but then again, you already have Sociology on the list? You don't need four subjects, don't force yourself to do an extra.
    Economics is a really easy A though.

ReputationRep:
    Chemistry A Level is a great course. It is held in such high esteem. When I went on a Cambridge open day, the DoS for Law asked everyone what subjects they were doing and said to me, 'We don't get many lawyers picking Chemistry, they seem to prefer the easier paths'. If you go to a state school this may seem quite surprising, as comparatively physics and maths are as difficult. But I have actually found out that chemistry is the most impervious to teaching of all the old A Level subjects- making it respected all round.

ReputationRep:
    AS chemistry is pretty easy.... u shouldnt have a hard time.... just a little effort and u have an A grade......

ReputationRep:
    i agree chem is an easy AS i got 82% in the coursework and my teacher said i was a failure and that it was the worst mark he'd ever had.

IF you're doing micky mouse subjects such as sociology and history, you'll probably find AS chemistry hard.

ReputationRep:
    I would say do chem, its well respected and to some (including me) its easy, but on the other hand some find it very hard and would be better advised to do a different subject which they could do better in

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DazYa777)
    IF you're doing micky mouse subjects such as sociology and history, you'll probably find AS chemistry hard.
    History is hardly 'mickey mouse'

ReputationRep:
    Out of all my subjects I think the workload was definitly highest for Chemistry. However it is most certainly worth it! The combination of theory and practical is great, and it would be a nice contrast to your other subjects. Its not easy, but a good grade in chemistry is worth all the hard work you put in!

I would also say that History is quite tricky, you need to be prepared to do a lot of essay writing which can be time consuming but once again good grade = definetly worth it.

Economics is pretty easy in comparison to both History and Chemistry, no where near as much work and is also very enjoyable and not too hard to get a good grade!

Don't know much about sociology though!

Do you know what your planning to do at uni? If its something along the lines of science/ economics I would recommend you also do Maths.

ReputationRep:
    Having done both Chemistry and History AS level I have to disagree with you. Although their was more to learn for Chemistry the actual exams for History are much harder, there is a lot less that can be gained from just "learning facts" in History.

ReputationRep:
    I think its subjective to what you find easy and what you dont. I did AS Hist and Chem, but carried on Chem to alevel, and I found them both the same, except History slightly more challenging because it was my only 'writing' subject. But I didnt find it hard...do chemistry if you enjoyed gcse thoroughly, if not you're not really going to enjoy AS.

it's just funny the amount of people saying AS chemistry is easy, thats all

ReputationRep:
    it's just funny the amount of people saying AS chemistry is easy, thats all
    This board attracts a disproportionate amount of intelligent people who often find subjects easy compared to normal life!

(Original post by cobra01977)
    This board attracts a disproportionate amount of intelligent people who often find subjects easy compared to normal life!
    i got an A in as chem, but had to work for it.

ReputationRep:
    certainly, to get an A in any subject you have to work for it. It doesnt just fall from the sky!

ReputationRep:
    Chemistry isn't really a "hard" subject, but there are pages and pages to learn. I kinda hate the fact that it's all about memorising nowadays. Very few questions in AS would actually test understanding It is very well respected though so if you ahve the time you should try it! Also, I would seriously consider taking maths at least to AS because it's a subject I find to be present in most uni courses. Kudos for history though! I really wanted to do that but my school just ignored me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vinny2256)
    Um... yeh... if ur natural at it... if not, it may be a bit challenging... but nevertheless, persevere

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pegasus)
    Having done both Chemistry and History AS level I have to disagree with you. Although their was more to learn for Chemistry the actual exams for History are much harder, there is a lot less that can be gained from just "learning facts" in History.
    yep. History is DAMN hard at times. Just learning the facts wont get u anywhere... Essay style... use of argument... etc etc etc *shudders* Revision wise... chem is easier in that respect i think, cos its more structured and as long as u can apply it, ur laughing... if not ur screwed. lol. This compares with history which is so vast and u really need to knwo EVERYTHING and even then.. thats not enuf...

Dont know about sociology but history is definitely not mickey mouse, its one of the hardest around.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.