Bad at A-Level History and I feel bad. Essay help?

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    "How far were tensions between the USA and the USSR responsible for the creation of the GDR in 1949?"

So I was given this essay and, as considered extremely typical of me, I have left it to the very last day. Also as considered extremely typical of me, I am utterly lost. If anyone could lend a hand, I would be eternally grateful. ;-;

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AzarathM)
    "How far were tensions between the USA and the USSR responsible for the creation of the GDR in 1949?"

So I was given this essay and, as considered extremely typical of me, I have left it to the very last day. Also as considered extremely typical of me, I am utterly lost. If anyone could lend a hand, I would be eternally grateful. ;-;
    Hey! I do Edexcel A-Level History (on A2, yay) and I can help give you a good basic structure for an essay if you want!

Intro - outline your points, I tend to do one block of for points and one block of against points in the intro. Four to six will do.

In the essay, I tend to alternate, using contradictions at the end of each point and always summing it up at the end of it (IMPORTANT TO LINK TO YOUR Q), suggesting how the factors are linked in some way shape or form (eg. at the time this factor contributed to... [next paragraph] on the other hand, at the same time this alternate factor...)

Conclusion is where you consider the weight of the evidence. I use the PEEL structure in my essays just because that is how I work. Always consider the evidence again and weigh the factors up (eg. in one of my essays my conclusion was 'To conclude, a multitude of factors were to blame for political instability between 1625 and 1646. However, I believe that Charles’ actions were very much to blame for the political instability, with him constantly going against Parliament, and at one point going to war against Parliament, in the First Bishop’s War. However, Charles was not the only one to blame, as Parliament also went to great lengths to try to get rid of one of his advisors, similar to how they tried to get rid of Buckingham, Strafford’s predecessor. Charles was mainly responsible, however we cannot rule out the influence of others as a helping factor in the political instability that occurred between 1625 and 1646.')
    The conclusion should always consider the evidence you have presented and make links to all your paragraphs, but also should be able to allow your evidence to answer your questions.
    I hope this kind of structure helps you in the future! Plus, I'm sure you aren't that bad at History, but if you need any structure help for any questions just drop me a message!

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 6, 2016
TSR Support Team
Poll
Which is the best season?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.