Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, my degree course (human sciences) has a large biology component, but I have not done biology a-level. could anyone please recommend any good biology textbooks that they have found useful?
    Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    what alevel or for uni? Im sure the uni will provide you with the necessary books you need...unless you want to do some background reading?

ReputationRep:
    i guess a-level so that i will be on the same footing as the other students!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by helen69)
    i guess a-level so that i will be on the same footing as the other students!
    What uni are you going to be studying at? I've been looking at courses like that in case i don't get into uni this year.

ReputationRep:
    ohh fair enough! I did biology alevel (edexcel) and used loads of different textbooks. Ill give the ones I liked the best...I think you can buy them from amazon easily - but my advice would be just take them out from the library! (bit pricey you see)

Lets see....

Longman A2 Biology - By John Dodds et al - this was a definitely a good book, Id advised you look at the AS version too,covers all boards so you wouldnt be missing out on much.

Advanced Biology - By M. Kent - good for if you want the details for the real nitty gritty stuff!

Advanced Biology For You - Gareth Williams - very easy to understand book, but kinda lacks depth compared with the other books. However its perfect forstuff you dont understand, for founding knowledge.

Also i havent used thisone, but biology counterpart,

Human Biology (Collins) - By Mike Boyle, et all - the biology was quite good for background stuff.

I havent given you the textbooks with just block writing, but with some nice piccies so its not too bad. These cover all the topics covered in alevel, sofor background reading they should be more than enough!

Hope these help

ReputationRep:
    Biology by Roberts, Reiss and Monger is pretty good too.

i really liked "Biology" by Neil Campbell. It's quite hefty / expensive but I got mine for £7 off ebay and they do seem to have quite a few from time to time.

I think it's intended for college students but most of it seems around the level of A-level stuff to me - it's American, which probably makes a difference.

Anyway it's nice and colourful and has lots of stuff in it; I wouldn't expect to read it all, but quite a bit of it won't be familiar to people who've done A-level anyway, so I wouldn't worry. Maybe get a more bare-bones revision guide type thing to make sure you have boned up on the essentials and use a book like this for more in-depth stuff - I think it would also be of use for reference during the year.

Incidentally, I bought it because it's on the recommended list Cambridge send to people who are about to study Biology of Cells there - which includes people who haven't done A-level Biology - for preliminary reading before they start their course.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all your help!

ReputationRep:
    'Complete A-Z Biology Handbook' by Bill Indge is good for learning terminology

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crana)
    i really liked "Biology" by Neil Campbell. It's quite hefty / expensive but I got mine for £7 off ebay and they do seem to have quite a few from time to time.
    I agree. Campbell is a standard first year text. In such, it is possibly even lower than A-level (I never paid much attention to my A-levels to be able to compare!).

Doubt you'll get an up-to-date version for £7 though!

(Original post by polthegael)
    I agree. Campbell is a standard first year text. In such, it is possibly even lower than A-level (I never paid much attention to my A-levels to be able to compare!).

Doubt you'll get an up-to-date version for £7 though!

well i did, so nerr, i think its just behind the very newest edition which only came out last year or this year. i think anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crana)
    well i did, so nerr, i think its just behind the very newest edition which only came out last year or this year. i think anyway.
    Whoops, sorry... I've made yet another boo-boo It's a real off-day for me!

I thought you said you had the 4th ed (1996). The 5th ed (which I have)came out in 1999. God knows how many there have been since then!

Do you have internet access to the Campbell website with your edition? I'd be happy to PM you a password if not and you can do the online quizes and tests and stuff..

Whoops, sorry... I've made yet another boo-boo It's a real off-day for me!

I thought you said you had the 4th ed (1996). The 5th ed (which I have)came out in 1999. God knows how many there have been since then!

Do you have internet access to the Campbell website with your edition? I'd be happy to PM you a password if not and you can do the online quizes and tests and stuff..
    wait let me go and check (the book is in the room im sleeping in at the minute, im hoping its knowledge will enter my brain as i slumber)

no you are right my friend it is 96.. i thought it was later than that. oh well. I saw a couple of 2nds and 3rds on us ebay but this was the newest one i found for an OK price.

Um, I'm not sure if i have access to it. How do I find out? it does have a cd rom.

rosie

ReputationRep:
    Sadly I got this when I tried to log in...

Dear Biology Place Customer,
    The Biology Place was retired on June 30, 2003.

We truly appreciate your loyalty to The Biology Place. Much of the content the site has been incorporated into other Pearson Education websites, which are richer, more robust and more current. Please contact your local Benjamin Cummings or Prentice Hall School sales representative to obtain information about these alternate offerings.
    so I guess I can't give you access anyway

(can you tell I finished the book a long time ago?!)

Soz

Sadly I got this when I tried to log in...

so I guess I can't give you access anyway

(can you tell I finished the book a long time ago?!)

Soz

dude, "FINISHED"?? I am most impressed. i will have a play with the CD rom at some point.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crana)
    dude, "FINISHED"?? I am most impressed. i will have a play with the CD rom at some point.
    Over the duration of Katie's degree she'd go (sometimes!) to lectures and I'd stay in bed reading Campbell... With other interuptions (from Begon and other texts), it took me the best part of three months!

As you can guess, I didn't go to college (just evening classes that year) and my attendance over the year was 55%!

You are the one who read the last Harry Potter in one go! Katie still hasn't finished it since she got it months ago (Xmas, I think!) and I'm not interested

Over the duration of Katie's degree she'd go (sometimes!) to lectures and I'd stay in bed reading Campbell... With other interuptions (from Begon and other texts), it took me the best part of three months!

As you can guess, I didn't go to college (just evening classes that year) and my attendance over the year was 55%!

You are the one who read the last Harry Potter in one go! Katie still hasn't finished it since she got it months ago (Xmas, I think!) and I'm not interested

campbell is slightly different to harry potter i think youll find! and the only reason i had to read it in one go is because i claimed the family copy first as being the fastest reader, but wasnt allowed to have it longer than like a day before the others got it!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crana)
    campbell is slightly different to harry potter i think youll find! and the only reason i had to read it in one go is because i claimed the family copy first as being the fastest reader, but wasnt allowed to have it longer than like a day before the others got it!!
    Point taken!

University open days

• University of East Anglia (UEA)
    Could you inspire the next generation? Find out more about becoming a Secondary teacher with UEA… Postgraduate
    Thu, 18 Oct '18
  • University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • University of Sheffield
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.