Should I drop out of university

Announcements

I'm in my second week of uni and am really not enjoying it that much. I ended up at my uni in clearing so didn't get any on campus accommodation so live on my own. This has made it really hard to make friends, especially now friendship groups seem to already be forming. I thought making friends may get easier after freshers but even in societies people seem to just be doing their own thing with their flatmates.

Additionally, I'm not a huge fan of the whole academic aspect of uni either. I loved sixth form never skipping a single day and got some of the best grades in my year yet I'm not really thrilled at the amount of study I'm expected to do here with us being told we will need to read 500 pages every week on top of lectures seminars etc. I sort of feel like I only came to uni because its what everyone else in my age group seemed to be doing and I wanted to escape a lifetime of dead-end jobs in my *****y town. I never really considered that many apprenticeships nowadays can lead to decent careers, with a city with a fair amount of opportunity being easily commutable from my town, I could even save a lot of money by living with my parents.

I know a lot of this could be due to the massive change in my life uni has caused and that I should at least stick it out until Christmas before making any rash decisions. However, if I find the situation hasn't improved by Christmas do you think I should drop out? At the moment the only thing really stopping me from doing so asides from having to find someone to take over my tenancy agreement is the stigma of being a dropout.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I'm in my second week of uni and am really not enjoying it that much. I ended up at my uni in clearing so didn't get any on campus accommodation so live on my own. This has made it really hard to make friends, especially now friendship groups seem to already be forming. I thought making friends may get easier after freshers but even in societies people seem to just be doing their own thing with their flatmates.

Additionally, I'm not a huge fan of the whole academic aspect of uni either. I loved sixth form never skipping a single day and got some of the best grades in my year yet I'm not really thrilled at the amount of study I'm expected to do here with us being told we will need to read 500 pages every week on top of lectures seminars etc. I sort of feel like I only came to uni because its what everyone else in my age group seemed to be doing and I wanted to escape a lifetime of dead-end jobs in my *****y town. I never really considered that many apprenticeships nowadays can lead to decent careers, with a city with a fair amount of opportunity being easily commutable from my town, I could even save a lot of money by living with my parents.

I know a lot of this could be due to the massive change in my life uni has caused and that I should at least stick it out until Christmas before making any rash decisions. However, if I find the situation hasn't improved by Christmas do you think I should drop out? At the moment the only thing really stopping me from doing so asides from having to find someone to take over my tenancy agreement is the stigma of being a dropout.
    Giving it more time is the sensible thing to do, if you dont feel right after a term that seems a good point to call it quits.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 4, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Which is the best season?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.