What career would you choose if it was your PRIORITY to live internationally?

Announcements Posted on
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    What reasonable career would you choose with your sets of skills and education if it was your priority to live in many different countries ( not necessarily speaking their language ).

I've studied a very generalist degree at Oxbrige and with my non-technical sets of skills I'd probably go for English-speaking vacancies opened at major international firms like Human Resource Management or learn programming in something like Java / Python and work in IT & Telecom.

Alternatively I would capitalise on this elevated Oxbridge prestige abroad and go for English-speaking part of the local education system, i.e. international schools.

What would you do?

ReputationRep:
    Roadman

ReputationRep:
    To guarantee travel abroad I'd go for teaching English - although tbh not sure I'd want to do that long-term. It's an easy way to get an insight into a particular country you may want to settle down for longer in though.

Also, customer management/ international business development roles in large international companies. One of the other interns when I worked at Rolls Royce last summer got flown out to China when she was working in some kind of customer management role - pretty awesome!**

ReputationRep:
    Holiday rep.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HANNAHBENLOLO)
    What reasonable career would you choose with your sets of skills and education if it was your priority to live in many different countries ( not necessarily speaking their language ).

I've studied a very generalist degree at Oxbrige and with my non-technical sets of skills I'd probably go for English-speaking vacancies opened at major international firms like Human Resource Management or learn programming in something like Java / Python and work in IT & Telecom.

Alternatively I would capitalise on this elevated Oxbridge prestige abroad and go for English-speaking part of the local education system, i.e. international schools.

What would you do?
    Diplomat

Wait, you've graduated and are only thinking about a career now...?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    Diplomat

Wait, you've graduated and are only thinking about a career now...?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Of course, like the vast majority of students around the world, and indeed at Oxbridge.

ReputationRep:
    Of course, like the vast majority of students around the world, and indeed at Oxbridge.
    You didn't go to any careers fairs?

What about this
    http://www.careers.cam.ac.uk/student...ntgotaclue.asp

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

What would you do?
    Diplomat, pilot, teacher at an international school, TEFL teacher, sailor, tour guide, air hostess.

Or just any professional job in a foreign office - maybe clock in a few years here then move via internal transfer.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Doubt it's the vast majority that leave their career planning til they finish uni tbh

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    So you're saying you've got no actual skills and are relying on the uni's name to get you a job?

Have you done any research at all into careers? Spoken to the careers service? You're definitely in the minority in doing no panning.

If you want to live abroad just go and do it. Travel writer. Blogger. As an Oxbridge grad surely you can work this out?

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 15, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you rather have...?
Useful resources

Quick Link:

Unanswered Marketing,Sales ad PR Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Study resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.