Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

M408 – Motion on Organised Running and other Fitness Activities 2016 Watch

• Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    M408 – Motion on Organised Running and other Fitness Activities 2016, TSR Green Party
    This House notes that the Little Stoke park runs, that used to take place weekly, ceased earlier this year after the local parish council sought to charge the organisers. This House believes that running and other fitness activities organised and using local parks, paths and other places free for the public to use should not face any charges. This House believes such activities encourage health and fitness for those who otherwise might not take part, which is important given the levels of obesity in the UK.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    huh
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    This is all very nice but you don't say why these park runs in particular are significant; how they their loss has changed the face of Britain's fitness activities. :confused:
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quamquam123)
    This is all very nice but you don't say why these park runs in particular are significant; how they their loss has changed the face of Britain's fitness activities. :confused:
    Running as a group is more motivating.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    Running as a group is more motivating.
    Is it? It may be more enjoyable but I would have thought you would exercise more efficiently by running alone.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Is it? It may be more enjoyable but I would have thought you would exercise more efficiently by running alone.
    No because you are less likely to run on your own and will give up sooner, running with your friends makes the running easier.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Pointless Motion , Not worth the time

Nay

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    No because you are less likely to run on your own and will give up sooner, running with your friends makes the running easier.
    There is also a confidence issue and a social one, and for those who may be reluctant to commit because it is so long since they exercised, a chance to start in a small way and at their own pace.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by barnetlad)
    There is also a confidence issue and a social one, and for those who may be reluctant to commit because it is so long since they exercised, a chance to start in a small way and at their own pace.
    Ok. But why are Little Stoke park runs so significant?

ReputationRep:
    The charges made for what is normally a place for which none are levied.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    This is true - doing things in a social group makes you want to do them more and makes them more enjoyable. For example, my gym partner's not been going to the gym recently because I've not had the time, so he's not been motivated enough to go. I also wanted to play CoD a hell of a lot more when I knew my mates wanted to play. A full lobby of your mates is hella fun m8.
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    It's an example we took to make the point that this sort of activity should be free of charge.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    On what grounds did they charge the group. They can't do so for using footpaths so tell us more.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    On what grounds did they charge the group. They can't do so for using footpaths so tell us more.
    That is exactly what they did actually.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    That is exactly what they did actually.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm pretty sure that's illegal so i'll probably abstain on the issue but wait for tda.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    I'm pretty sure that's illegal so i'll probably abstain on the issue but wait for tda.
    I'm pretty sure the government said it's a local matter so I can't imagine so.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Agree, but why not make an actual bill to prevent charging for certain events?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I remember seeing a story like this on the news a few weeks back, not sure if it's the same one or not. But I remember the council said they charged a group using a park for runs for £1 a person as they were wearing out the grass in the park which needed more maintenance due to increased usage.

ReputationRep:
    Here's the BBC article I found on the issue:

"However, the council said that the three-year-old event had led to "increased wear on the park" and Parkrun had refused a request to contribute "a small monetary amount towards the upkeep"."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-36437585
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    agree but there should be a bill - motion is useless

Updated: October 8, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
How are you feeling about Results Day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.