Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Can you party in a public field? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi, so I'm planning on throwing a party for 80 ish people with a generator and speakers (small ones), there are no houses around and its a public field and we would like to camp there the night before, I've known a lot of people to do this before and cant find if its legal on the Internet?

Thanks
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by Tarlius)
    Hi, so I'm planning on throwing a party for 80 ish people with a generator and speakers (small ones), there are no houses around and its a public field and we would like to camp there the night before, I've known a lot of people to do this before and cant find if its legal on the Internet?

Thanks
    The land will be owned by someone.
    Possibly the local Council.
    There will be usage restrictions on it.

Ofc you could do it anyway and then someone might call the police and they could shut you down if you are creating a disturbance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    The land will be owned by someone.
    Possibly the local Council.
    There will be usage restrictions on it.

Ofc you could do it anyway and then someone might call the police and they could shut you down if you are creating a disturbance.
    But literally I've done so much research and it just doesnt belong to anybody, and plus there's literally n houses around so it would be fine right?
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by Tarlius)
    But literally I've done so much research and it just doesnt belong to anybody, and plus there's literally n houses around so it would be fine right?
    Ofc it will belong to someone. You might not get caught and it will all pass off fine, but it will belong to someone even if its a farmer.

http://blog.landregistry.gov.uk/find...ty-piece-land/

If you are really that keen to know.

http://eservices.landregistry.gov.uk...0C7IdFQEFq0xh/

ReputationRep:
    Unclaimed land just isn't a thing here.

Someone owns that land. Whoever it is may complain and you could get in trouble with the police - plus anyone can submit a noise complaint. Sound travels even if it seems like you're a way from the nearest houses.

ReputationRep:
    You can, but whether you should is another point entirely.

Just to be clear, you should read this in the same way you would read "well you can kill someone, but...".

Sound travels further than you'd think, especially across an open space. And yes, someone does own that land. It may be open to the public, but that doesn't mean someone doesn't own it.

If you do throw a party, then do the right thing: pick up all your rubbish afterwards and leave the land in the same state that you found it in, don't leave all your **** lying there for someone else to tidy up like a ****.

ReputationRep:
    I imagine there's a high likelihood that the police will be called on you.
    Public land is owned.

ReputationRep:
    you will be disturbing the wildlife.

ReputationRep:
    80 plus people is quite a large event, I doubt it would pass unnoticed. If you can't find out who owns it and get their permission, you'll be risking getting yourself into a lot of trouble if you get caught.

Probably easier to find somebody who will let you use their land, to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    Yes. That's what vodka field parties are for

ReputationRep:
    80 people?

You could get away with 10 but I wouldn't do this without looking into it more deeply.
    • Very Important Poster

I would be highly surprised if there was a gathering of 80+ people and music that someone wouldnt call the police. If you wnat to hold a party you may be required by the local council to comply with local regulations on hosting a public event, especially health and safety compliance. As keeps being pointed out the land will belong to someone. If its for public use i.e Council land then they will have a right to decide what purposes it is used for. Just holding a party will not be good enough.

If its private land and a complaint is made then you will be trespassing. Ofc nobody may complain and the police may not come, but that is the risk you take.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    How are your GCSEs going so far?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.