Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    hello I want to-do this certain course at university but I know nothing about it and I never took it at A level, so how can show the university that I am passionate about it and that I need that degree to-do pursue my dream job.
    I hope I did not sound stupid but I see a lot of people getting into a uni course that the never done at A level or a subject which isn't that close to it.
    oh yh I want to do accounting finance bsc degree. I have A level math but no business types A levels like business, economics or accounting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mnak)
    hello I want to-do this certain course at university but I know nothing about it and I never took it at A level, so how can show the university that I am passionate about it and that I need that degree to-do pursue my dream job.
    I hope I did not sound stupid but I see a lot of people getting into a uni course that the never done at A level or a subject which isn't that close to it.
    oh yh I want to do accounting finance bsc degree. I have A level math but no business types A levels like business, economics or accounting.
    I guess this is kind of similar to me, I am currently doing a Law with Spanish and Spanish Law degree and I had never taken Law at A-Level. I just did lots of extra reading on topics in Law which interested me and wrote my viewpoint on that in my personal statement. I had taken History, English Lit and Spanish (dropped Sociology at AS) so my subjects were transferable, just like how your math A-Level is also transferable. It's all about making what you have work for you, use the transferable skills and extra reading to make you look like a good applicant!
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mnak)
    Well, why are you interested in the course? I assume you must have read up about the course and know all the basics???

Think about what relevant experience you have - for example:

- being part of a relevant school society (e.g. a business enterprise group / maths club)
    - some work experience (Could just be from a part time job. I believe all UK students had a compulsory work experience two weeks back in year 10? If you've had no other relevant experience then just mention this and how you realised the importance of finance in a wide range of different businesses or something...)*
    - wider reading - have a look at the suggested reading for your course (some universities will publish suggested reading lists online, google it) or just browse through your local library for accountancy and finance related books
    - *complete a free online course (MOOC) - there are loads of these relevant to business/ accountancy/ finance, they tend to be relatively introductory level and give you a headstart on some first year topics
    - summer courses - if you're in your AS year then now is the time to apply for summer courses run by many universities in the UK. These tend to be free or heavily subsidised and give you an insight into what studying that subject at degree level would be like since you basically spend a week in the life of a uni student
    - taster days - these are offered again by loads of UK universities, usually but not exclusively for AS students. The University of London is particularly good for these - have a look online*

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources
    Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Find your perfect uni course

Don't know where to apply? Let our uni match maker be your guide

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.