Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

I'm afraid to speak in English!

ReputationRep:
    I'm studying English but Idk, when I have to talk in English with someone else I cannot say anything, I understand what they are saying but I can't talk long. I can read, write, listen etc, but I can't talk, its very difficult for me, can you give some advices?

Thank u!

ReputationRep:
    I think try to be confident, I'm sure you are great at speaking English it's probably nerves a bit. Maybe try speaking to yourself at home, like practising what you're saying so it comes naturally when speaking to someone else

ReputationRep:
    same but mine is with Polish.

its so embarrassing when you can't hold a proper conversation

ReputationRep:
    Thank u so much! You know, I'm trying to do that but it's difficult, sometimes I feel a bit mad talking to myself in English hahaha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Marthaships)
    Thank u so much! You know, I'm trying to do that but it's difficult, sometimes I feel a bit mad talking to myself in English hahaha
    What is your native language?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by German123)
    same but mine is with Polish.

its so embarrassing when you can't hold a proper conversation

Yes I know!! Its embarrasing and sad at the same time, what age did you learn Polish?

ReputationRep:
    Practice and lots and lots of patience. You'll get there. All the best!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rambapa)
    What is your native language?
    My native language is Spanish but I'm learning English and French

ReputationRep:
    Join a social group where you'll meet English speakers informally. Maybe a local church group, choir, conservation group, local history society, scouts (as an adult helper), walking group etc. Libraries sometimes have details for local groups, or local council websites. Most groups are keen to welcome new members and you will have a purpose for talking. It's much better when you have to speak for a reason, instead of just social talk.
    Alternatively try volunteering at a local charity shop. They will also be very pleased to see you, and you can speak to customers who don't know you, so no need to worry about a mistake. Most reasonable people will respect you for trying to learn our language and help you if you get stuck.

ReputationRep:
    to be honest you need to be around a lot of english people and just go for it. we all understand if you're not as fluent as us lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Marthaships)
    Yes I know!! Its embarrasing and sad at the same time, what age did you learn Polish?
    I did not "learn" Polish, it is my first language.

English is my second language.

We all have to learn, it is just practice.

I feel more confident speaking English rather than Polish.

That is just the way it is for me

Poll
Which party will you be voting for in the General Election 2017?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.