Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

Improving my Maths

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Apologies if this isn't the right forum but hope will get some advice.

Pretty much, my Maths is woeful. I got a G in it for a reason and at the age of 30, I want to improve it as I'm having near enough stresses at work when it comes to numbers at work. Not too sure, besides an evening course, where to get started? I think a classroom environment might suit more than online learning

I'd like to show what my current level is and then be advised whether it's worth undertaking sessions to improve it or even consider re-taking GCSE (long shot!)

Any tips much appreciated

ReputationRep:
    I would just work online tbh. Khan Academy is a good resource to use. List topics that you'd like to work on/topics that you find yourself coming across at work and target them. Ask on here for any questions that you get stuck on.

ReputationRep:
    ^I don't think short-termism is what will improve my Maths in the long term in response to listing topics that I struggle at work. It's more of a mental block for me in terms of numeracy and it'll need more in-depth study to achieve that. I've identified one potential classroom learning option but if it doesn't fit in with work, might look at online qualifications and work at home.

ReputationRep:
    An evening class would be ideal, in my opinion. It gives you a structured environment, contact with fellow learners and well-defined goals. Trying to do it on your own, particularly if you've been out of education for some time, is daunting. Try contacting some local FE colleges to see what they offer. And well done for having the drive to improve on it 12+ years from leaving school!

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

one book which helps a lot for basics is "Basic math and algebra for dummies" by Mark Zaggerelli.

You might also want to read What is mathematics by richard courant, and principles of mathematics by allendoerder et al.

The latter two books are a good rigourous introduction to mathematics, especially principles of mathematics. But I suspect they may be a little difficult for you at first, pre math and algebra is really good as an intro . Another books is schaums outlines of basic mathematics, they have lots of basic numeracy questions.

These books can be found on the internet for free if you know where to look.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aky786UK)
    Hi,

Apologies if this isn't the right forum but hope will get some advice.

Pretty much, my Maths is woeful. I got a G in it for a reason and at the age of 30, I want to improve it as I'm having near enough stresses at work when it comes to numbers at work. Not too sure, besides an evening course, where to get started? I think a classroom environment might suit more than online learning

I'd like to show what my current level is and then be advised whether it's worth undertaking sessions to improve it or even consider re-taking GCSE (long shot!)

Any tips much appreciated
    You can do free part time functional maths courses in some colleges or in some areas through your local adult learning service. They would assess your current skill levels and put you in a group appropriate to your current ability. It doesn't matter how modest your skills are right now. When you are ready you could move from functional skills to GCSE. Some people move rapidly because they are much more highly motivated than they were at school, some people take years to get there and some people are happy to just improve their confidence and skills for every day maths. Very few people fail to make any progress.
    Learndirect offer functional maths but this tends to be computer based self study with some tutor support and may not be what you need. Give them a call.
    http://www.learndirect.com/maths-eng...-qualification

The best book in my opinion is:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Maths-Basic.../dp/1408521121

But if your skills really are G level then you probably should make some improvement before thinking of buying a book.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Which party will you be voting for in the General Election 2017?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.