A** in O'Levels Watch

This discussion is closed.
Yasser
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
Hi!
I think that there should be A** as well in O'Levels, whether it is GCE or GCSE.

The reason is that the people getting outstanding results like more than 95% would be the distinguished ones ,whereas the students securing 90-95% should be considered as A*'s.
The rest above 80-90% as A's and like wise B and C also at 70-80% and 60-70% respectively.

Thanks for Understanding my suggestion.
Tek
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Just out of curiosity, what does the apostrophe in A*'s and A's replace?
EddieB
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Tek)
Just out of curiosity, what does the apostrophe in A*'s and A's replace?
Nothing, but it's to help prevent confusion. It's happened to me on more than one occasion.

Which one is clearer ?

"I got two A's"

or

"I got two As"

Besides, apostrophes don't always replace missing letters.
Xenon
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by EddieB)
Nothing, but it's to help prevent confusion. It's happened to me on more than one occasion.

Which one is clearer ?

"I got two A's"

or

"I got two As"

Besides, apostrophes don't always replace missing letters.
"I got 2 A's", to avoid confusion. Remember, there are the AS exams too, so 2 As could be confused with that.
Tek
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Well say A2 to avoid confusion with AS then.
Adhsur
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
No I don't think there should be, because then people would scamble for the A**s and the A* wouldn't be worth much anymore.
onlywee
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Adhsur)
No I don't think there should be, because then people would scamble for the A**s and the A* wouldn't be worth much anymore.
I agree. I think it's unneccesary. If the uni's want to be able to distingiush they could just ask for your raw marks.
PHIL
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by onlywee)
I agree. I think it's unneccesary. If the uni's want to be able to distingiush they could just ask for your raw marks.
Quite a few do anyway

Phil
Ollie
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by onlywee)
they have acces to them, when i raung up they told me i was so many marks close to the boundary so i could still come. so if u do 100% they can see this aswell
onlywee
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Ollie)
they have acces to them, when i raung up they told me i was so many marks close to the boundary so i could still come. so if u do 100% they can see this aswell
I so never knew that! Makes me a little happy actually...It's nice that they're able to see them and maybe appreciate a high A..if you see what i mean!
X

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have grade requirements for your sixth form/college?

At least 5 GCSEs at grade 4 (65)
14.16%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 5 (70)
15.25%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (90)
19.61%
Higher than 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (185)
40.31%
Pass in English and Maths GCSE (21)
4.58%
No particular grades needed (28)
6.1%