Sociology applicants 2017

Announcements Posted on

ReputationRep:
    Since no-one has started one .....

Post your 5 choices - and which would be your dream offer, and why.

ReputationRep:
    My five choices are LSE, Bristol, Sussex, City and Cardiff (although the last two aren't definite). LSE is definitely my first choice, I love the area it's in and the Department looks great but I'm trying not to get my hopes up too much.

ReputationRep:
    My choices are LSE, Durham, Manchester, Bristol and maybe Edinburgh or Sussex. I love the incorporation of Statistics into these courses (quantitative methods)- LSE despite not branding their degree as a quantitative method based degree definitely has statistical aspects which is exciting! I love all the optional modules- especially the Manchester degree structure for quantitative methods!

What did everyone get at AS level? What are you predicted?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lawwannaB)
    What did everyone get at AS level? What are you predicted?
    I got an A in Politics and a C in French (extenuating circumstances). My English Literature course is linear.

I'm predicted A*/A for Politics, A for French (retaking both AS exams) and a B in English Lit.

What about you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by durutti)
    I got an A in Politics and a C in French (extenuating circumstances). My English Literature course is linear.

I'm predicted A*/A for Politics, A for French (retaking both AS exams) and a B in English Lit.

What about you?
    Sorry to hear about your extenuating circumstances! A C is so good though in French! I got ABB in Maths, Philosophy/Ethics/Theology and Fine Art at AS level- very annoyingly I was one off an A in both of those Bs! Sociology is linear so didn't sit the exam this year but I'm predicted A*A*A in Sociology, Maths and Fine Art. Really don't think I stand a chance of getting into LSE.. but I love Manchester and hope to get into there!

ReputationRep:
    Sorry to hear about your extenuating circumstances! A C is so good though in French! I got ABB in Maths, Philosophy/Ethics/Theology and Fine Art at AS level- very annoyingly I was one off an A in both of those Bs! Sociology is linear so didn't sit the exam this year but I'm predicted A*A*A in Sociology, Maths and Fine Art. Really don't think I stand a chance of getting into LSE.. but I love Manchester and hope to get into there!
    You did really well but are unlucky to miss out on those As. Have you considered remarks or even resits? LSE aren't that keen on resits but it may well help you to make the grade if / when you get an offer.

Your predicted grades are excellent though and Sociology is one of the least competitive courses at LSE (although still very competitive) and I'm sure you'll get an offer!

How is your application going?

ReputationRep:
    I highly doubt I'm going to get an offer but I might as well try! I really want Manchester or Bristol. Yeah it's fine just finished my PS after having it checked serveral times and I think I'm happy with it! Just got to get my reference done and then have leadership have my whole application checked then I can pay and send it off yay! What about you?

ReputationRep:
    My PS is done and I'm quite pleased with it but I might still change a few things. I've only actually visited LSE but I know I like the cities of my other options so I'm going to put them down and visit if I get offers so that I can send my application soon. All I really need to do is make up my mind about my choices and have it checked with my tutor.

ReputationRep:
    My PS is done and I'm quite pleased with it but I might still change a few things. I've only actually visited LSE but I know I like the cities of my other options so I'm going to put them down and visit if I get offers so that I can send my application soon. All I really need to do is make up my mind about my choices and have it checked with my tutor.
    So you're pretty much in the same boat as me ahaha. Just want to apply now and hope for the best! What do you hope to do after graduating?

ReputationRep:
    So you're pretty much in the same boat as me ahaha. Just want to apply now and hope for the best! What do you hope to do after graduating?
    I'm really not sure, I'll probably do a postgraduate degree or maybe a law conversion course or something like that. I'd quite like to work in academia one day.

What about you?

ReputationRep:
    I'm really not sure, I'll probably do a postgraduate degree or maybe a law conversion course or something like that. I'd quite like to work in academia one day.

What about you?
    I thought about doing a law conversion or potentially go into social research- I want to do a quantitative method based degree or something which incorporates a bit of Maths because I like it but just not enough to pursue it as a degree aha. I feel like studying law and practising it so two completely different things- a lot of people studying it complain about it and I think you'll have a stronger dynamic reading another subject then doing law.

ReputationRep:
    Applied to Kent, Leeds, Loughborough, Surrey and Sussex

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Poetic Gamer)
    Applied to Kent, Leeds, Loughborough, Surrey and Sussex
    Good luck! I will be applying to LSE, Bristol, Sussex, Leeds and Sheffield by the end of the week.

ReputationRep:
    Good luck! I will be applying to LSE, Bristol, Sussex, Leeds and Sheffield by the end of the week.
    Thank you I just got offers from Kent and Loughborough

ReputationRep:
    Who else has got offers for Sociology ......?

ReputationRep:
    Anyone had any offers? Had acknowledgements from all five but waiting! Sent it off on Friday aha.

ReputationRep:
    Looking to apply to university for Sociology with Criminology next year as these are the two subjects I am most interested in. However, it's been suggested to me that I stick to purely a Sociology course, as it keeps my options open for career aspects (I am still unsure what I want to do as a career but would like to do down the crime route of sociology) as studying criminology on top of sociology may be too specific. I do not fully enjoy all aspects of sociology as I currently study it as an A Level and believe pairing it with criminology may help me to enjoy the course more. I am worried that if I decide that a career involving criminology is not for me that I will be at a disadvantage when up against those who just have a sociology degree. Is a joint honours course too specific? Any advice?

ReputationRep:
    I've applied to take Sociology with Criminology at the University of York, York St. John, Teesside, Northumbria and Newcastle. I've gotten replied from all but Newcastle, with an unconditional from York St. John...
    Just wondering if anyone else has applied to these places and/or already takes this course at any of these places and can offer some advice about the best Uni option. I'm currently favouring UoY and YSJ.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by returnmigrant)
    Who else has got offers for Sociology ......?
    Got offers from Durham and Bath!

ReputationRep:
    Manchester just gave me an offer woo

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 5, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
How are you feeling about doing A-levels?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.