The Student Room Group

Sociology applicants 2017

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lawwannaB
Got offers from Durham and Bath!

What were your predicted grades if you don't mind me asking? Really thinking about applying to Bath an Durham but a bit nervous!
Manchester just gave me an offer woo

Well done!! What were your predicted grades if you don't mind me asking? I'm going to apply for Manchester!
Original post by dexymarie
Looking to apply to university for Sociology with Criminology next year as these are the two subjects I am most interested in. However, it's been suggested to me that I stick to purely a Sociology course, as it keeps my options open for career aspects ........ Is a joint honours course too specific? Any advice?

Don't worry about this. A degree is as much about 'brain training' as the subject matter. Heaps of graduates will end up in jobs that have nothing to do with their degree subject. A degree proves to an employer that you have higher thinking skills, can analyse/discuss/research etc. In many ways any social science degree will give you all this, and employers in relevant areas know this. So they will not be looking necessarily for a degree in criminology or politics or whatever, but a soc sci degree 'with an interest in the relevant work area'. The most important thing is that you enjoy doing your degree - because that is what will get you a 2i or First.

So you could do you planned subject combo (a joint subject degree is not worth less than a single subject), or choose another soc sci area completely that covers your areas of interest (ie. sociology, social policy will all cover criminology and deviance). Don't worry too much about 'future prospects' - a good degree (2i or First) and a CV with other things on it beyond just your degree (relevant voluntary work, club/association involvement, vacation jobs, travel, study abroad etc) is what employers look for, not the detailed content of your degree.
(edited 7 years ago)
Hey guys!!! I have written my personal statement tailored to Sociology & Criminology and Sociology & Social Policy, But I also want to apply to Manchester for a single honours course in Sociology, would this be fine even though my PS has aspects of criminology and social policy? thanks
Original post by octahate
Hey guys!!! I have written my personal statement tailored to Sociology & Criminology and Sociology & Social Policy, But I also want to apply to Manchester for a single honours course in Sociology, would this be fine even though my PS has aspects of criminology and social policy? thanks

Yes, because Sociology includes or relates to the other two areas.
Original post by Chloeruddock123
Well done!! What were your predicted grades if you don't mind me asking? I'm going to apply for Manchester!

A*A*A
Got an offer from Leeds for Sociology and English

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've got all my 5 offers back (all conditional) from Leeds, Sheffield, Newcastle, Loughborough and Leeds Beckett :smile:
Original post by emwaltonx
I've got all my 5 offers back (all conditional) from Leeds, Sheffield, Newcastle, Loughborough and Leeds Beckett

Congratulations!

PS. Make sure you read this TSR advice about Firm & Insurance choices before making any decisions : http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=16167-firm-and-insurance-choices
I've gotta a offer from Sussex ABB or BBB if I firm
And an offer for law and sociology AAB or BBB if I firm for Kent
And finally AAB for law and sociology at royal holloway
Original post by kylslntr
I've gotta a offer from Sussex ABB or BBB if I firm
And an offer for law and sociology AAB or BBB if I firm for Kent
And finally AAB for law and sociology at royal holloway

Would the lower Firm offer make you pick either Kent or Sussex .....?
Original post by returnmigrant
Would the lower Firm offer make you pick either Kent or Sussex .....?

Yeah definitely I only really wanted to go to Kent anyways if I'm honest if I get into Warwick that might change though but yeah probably pick Kent so I feel secure
Sent my application off a week ago today & received offers from 4/5 universities!
Offers from Bath, Manchester, Loughborough & Liverpool :smile:
Just waiting for Durham now:colondollar:
Reply 33
I got 2 offers today from York and Warwick and i sent my application off 3 days ago. i havent heard back from Leeds, Sheffield or Nottingham yet
I submitted my application on Monday and reviewed an offer from Manchester within 24 hours!!
Reply 35
got offers from Loughborough, Sheffield and Warwick ayy
Reply 36
I've got offers from Sheffield, Glasgow and Bristol (reduced to BBC), still waiting on Edinburgh and LSE.
I've had offers from Bristol (BBC) Plymouth (104 UCAS points) and Portsmouth (112 UCAS points), just waiting on Exeter and Edinburgh now, but fingers crossed!
Original post by thewelshtart
I've had offers from Bristol (BBC) Plymouth (104 UCAS points) and Portsmouth (112 UCAS points), just waiting on Exeter and Edinburgh now, but fingers crossed!

My offer for Bristol was BBC! Why is it so low?!
My offer for Bristol was BBC! Why is it so low?!

Contextual Offer - so grab it with both hands.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending