Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello, I was just wondering if anyone could give me some advice on which universities I would have the best chance of applying in and getting an interview. I have only got an average UKCAT score of 670 and been really panicking with uni choices!!
    VR= 570
    QR= 740
    AR= 700
    Average= 670 (2010)
    Band 2
    AS grades= AAAA
    A2 predicted= A* A* A
    GCSE grades= 6 A*s and 3 As
    Im thinking hull york, nottingham, manchester, birmingham, cardiff and Bristol?? Which ones should I avoid?? Thank youuuu😊😊😊

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nickynjoe)
    Hello, I was just wondering if anyone could give me some advice on which universities I would have the best chance of applying in and getting an interview. I have only got an average UKCAT score of 670 and been really panicking with uni choices!!
    VR= 570
    QR= 740
    AR= 700
    Average= 670 (2010)
    Band 2
    AS grades= AAAA
    A2 predicted= A* A* A
    Im thinking hull york, nottingham, manchester, birmingham, cardiff and Bristol?? Which ones should I avoid?? Thank youuuu😊😊😊
    Don't panic you have good stats if you choose wisely. I would avoid Cardiff as not enough GCSE
    A*s (8 is usually their cut off giving 27 points).
    Birmingham has an online calculator which gives a score using their system and their website gives their cut off.
    What are your A*s in as Notts score certain ones (chem, physics,maths etc) and then each section of the UKCAT? This gives you a total score and then ring them about whether they think it would be enough. They've changed their scoring this year. How to score details are on the website.
    Bristol is very PS heavy so it's always a bit of a risk as it's subjective.
    Not sure what manchesters UKCAT cutoff was last year. If it's not on their website ring them or check the website. If you can't find out do a trawl through last years thread.
    Don't know about Hull york

ReputationRep:
    VR= 570
    QR= 740
    AR= 700
    Average= 670 (2010)
    Band 2
    AS grades= AAAA
    A2 predicted= A* A* A
    Avoid Cardiff. Cut off has been 8 A*s recently so you wont get an interview. You can calculate your score for Bham online and see if you would have got an interview last year, but the rest seem to be fine. Perhaps Manchester is risky as their cut off was 665, but its your choice

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by newgirl66)
    Don't panic you have good stats if you choose wisely. I would avoid Cardiff as not enough GCSE
    A*s (8 is usually their cut off giving 27 points).
    Birmingham has an online calculator which gives a score using their system and their website gives their cut off.
    What are your A*s in as Notts score certain ones (chem, physics,maths etc) and then each section of the UKCAT? This gives you a total score and then ring them about whether they think it would be enough. They've changed their scoring this year. How to score details are on the website.
    Bristol is very PS heavy so it's always a bit of a risk as it's subjective.
    Not sure what manchesters UKCAT cutoff was last year. If it's not on their website ring them or check the website. If you can't find out do a trawl through last years thread.
    Don't know about Hull york
    Thank you so much for your reply I'm really worrying about choosing the wrong unis which I won't be a very strong candidate and likely to be rejected. I used the calculator for Birmingham and got a score of 8 point something out of 10 and last years cut off for interviews was 6 point something but I don't have nowhere near the number of a*s as others applying
    English language= A*
    English lit= A*
    Chem= A*
    Bio= A*
    Phys= A*
    Maths= A
    French= A
    Art= A*
    Geog= A
    Im not so sure how many I score, on the UKCAT its 23/30 and for the GCSEs I wasn't quite sure which ones they used. Yeah Bristol will be really riskyyy, and for Manchester last years cut off was 665
    I feel like all of my options are all really risky!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HopelessMedic)
    Avoid Cardiff. Cut off has been 8 A*s recently so you wont get an interview. You can calculate your score for Bham online and see if you would have got an interview last year, but the rest seem to be fine. Perhaps Manchester is risky as their cut off was 665, but its your choice
    Okay then, thank you for your advice, I will probably avoid Cardiff then!! I calculated my score using the calculator for Birmingham and I got 8.034 out of 10 and the cut off for last year was something like 6.14. Do you think that my score is too risky, because I've heard they want loads of A*s?? I feel like all of my options are risky, have you got any other considerations which would be better for me??

ReputationRep:
    Okay then, thank you for your advice, I will probably avoid Cardiff then!! I calculated my score using the calculator for Birmingham and I got 8.034 out of 10 and the cut off for last year was something like 6.14. Do you think that my score is too risky, because I've heard they want loads of A*s?? I feel like all of my options are risky, have you got any other considerations which would be better for me??
    Have answered in other thread - sorry!!

I'm not sure about Birmingham to be honest as it always used to be very GCSE heavy but I would imagine that must have changed if they're doing this calculator thing and giving cut offs. It might be worth ringing or emailing them to clarify. Now seen your GCSE grades and I Think Leicester looks very promising as they're in all the right subjects for a good score.

ReputationRep:
    its okay I know that's why i am worried about applying there because everyone with really high A*s always apply there! Yeah I will ring them tomorrow and ask about any cut off with the number of A*s. Thank you so much, I will look into Leicester! Do you think I have a chance with Nottingham??

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.