Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

Am I working class or middle class? Watch

ReputationRep:
    About me:

- from a town that would generally be considered "working class"

- grew up in a detached 3-bedroom house in the suburbs (bought by my parents in the mid-90s when house prices were a LOT lower than today)

- but neither of my parents went to university, they both left school at 16

- my dad would strongly identify himself as being "working class"

- I went to a private secondary school but had a bursary (only paid a third of the £9k a year fees) due to my parents' low/mediocre income

- I have an undergrad degree from Russell Group university

- I currently earn £33k a year, aged 22 (23 in a few days)

- I voted "Leave" in the EU referendum (as did both my parents and all of my grandparents)

So am I working class or middle class? Or am I from a working class background but now middle class?

ReputationRep:
    what's you voting leave got to do with anything?

ReputationRep:
    Probably working atm

ReputationRep:
    I think you know the answer to this question?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HopelessMedic)
    Probably working atm
    But I earn above the average UK income and I am only 22?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Super Cicero)
    But I earn above the average UK income and I am only 22?
    Why do you even care lol

Working class background, aspiring middle class I guess?

ReputationRep:
    Middle class- if you hadn't have mentioned your house size/location I would have said borderline upper class because of the private school. Your also earning quite a bit for your age considering you've probably just finished university.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Mmmm money

ReputationRep:
    do you have tattoos ?

:holmes:

ReputationRep:
    God I am so jealous of this money what job do you do? What degree?

ReputationRep:
    Working class

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by Super Cicero)
    About me:

- from a town that would generally be considered "working class"

- grew up in a detached 3-bedroom house in the suburbs (bought by my parents in the mid-90s when house prices were a LOT lower than today)

- but neither of my parents went to university, they both left school at 16

- my dad would strongly identify himself as being "working class"

- I went to a private secondary school but had a bursary (only paid a third of the £9k a year fees) due to my parents' low/mediocre income

- I have an undergrad degree from Russell Group university

- I currently earn £33k a year, aged 22 (23 in a few days)

- I voted "Leave" in the EU referendum (as did both my parents and all of my grandparents)

So am I working class or middle class? Or am I from a working class background but now middle class?
    Do you work for a living?

Btw all the class stuff seems to be a British obsession and mostly a load if complete tosh.

ReputationRep:
    Working class advancing towards lower middle - keep up the work ethic, once you're there, it's the matter of time and vigilance to advance into middle-middle. Higher middle is, on the other hand, really quite difficult - this is where David Cameron would be.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Do you work for a living?

Btw all the class stuff seems to be a British obsession and mostly a load if complete tosh.
    In France we have that 'obsession' too (in my opinion it's reality.. and it comes from someone who really believes in meritocracy/social mobility), but yes Britain is even one step further.
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by HANNAHBENLOLO)
    In France we have that 'obsession' too (in my opinion it's reality.. and it comes from someone who really believes in meritocracy/social mobility), but yes Britain is even one step further.
    This is a very famous comedy sketch from the 60s about class, which you may or may not have seen. Sums it up.

who even invented the term "social class"

ReputationRep:
    What job do you do

ReputationRep:
    - went to private school
    - parents owned their own house

Middle class. Your parents may have been working class, but you're middle class.

ReputationRep:
    £33k a year is that inside London?

If not then I would say middle class.

ReputationRep:
    I come from a similar background to you. I think the class system is a 19th century idea that doesn't really apply today. I wouldn't consider my self working class or middle class. I know people from all kinds of backgrounds and I things in common with them all.

Poll
Do you honestly judge a book by its cover?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.