Scroll to see replies

Original post by SCIENCE :D
£33k a year is that inside London?

If not then I would say middle class.

Outside London.
Original post by Super Cicero
About me:

- from a town that would generally be considered "working class"

- grew up in a detached 3-bedroom house in the suburbs (bought by my parents in the mid-90s when house prices were a LOT lower than today)

- but neither of my parents went to university, they both left school at 16

- my dad would strongly identify himself as being "working class"

- I went to a private secondary school but had a bursary (only paid a third of the £9k a year fees) due to my parents' low/mediocre income

- I have an undergrad degree from Russell Group university

- I currently earn £33k a year, aged 22 (23 in a few days)

- I voted "Leave" in the EU referendum (as did both my parents and all of my grandparents)

So am I working class or middle class? Or am I from a working class background but now middle class?

Ignore these, £33k is almost 2x average for your age.
average salary for 20 to 24-year-olds is £16,400

At your current rate, you'll be upper middle class by the time your older.
Original post by ScienceFantatic
Why do you even care lol

Working class background, aspiring middle class I guess?

Original post by HANNAHBENLOLO
Working class advancing towards lower middle - keep up the work ethic, once you're there, it's the matter of time and vigilance to advance into middle-middle. Higher middle is, on the other hand, really quite difficult - this is where David Cameron would be.
Reply 22
I am genuinely curious as to why you give a hoot?

I would have said most people would go more by the job you do than the information you've provided anyway.
U have to be earning over 35,000 as a minimum in order to be classed as middle class. But hey ur pretty close. A few more years and u will be there most likely :smile:
Reply 24
Original post by HANNAHBENLOLO
Working class advancing towards lower middle - keep up the work ethic, once you're there, it's the matter of time and vigilance to advance into middle-middle. Higher middle is, on the other hand, really quite difficult - this is where David Cameron would be.

I'm curious as to what prevents you classing David Cameron as upper class.
If that's considered working class then I am far below working class.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 26
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-22000973

Though I was taught that social class is defined entirely by the type of job you have (or your parents). It's what I usually go by.
Original post by Nadile
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-22000973

Though I was taught that social class is defined entirely by the type of job you have (or your parents). It's what I usually go by.

Damn, scored "Emergent Services Worker"

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Dheorl
I'm curious as to what prevents you classing David Cameron as upper class.

Lol, Call me Dave's a millionaire and(IIRC) distantly related to the Queen. If that's not upper class then wtf is?
Original post by ddrrzzeerr
I come from a similar background to you. I think the class system is a 19th century idea that doesn't really apply today. I wouldn't consider my self working class or middle class. I know people from all kinds of backgrounds and I things in common with them all.

OK but you're middle class.
A simple test to see if you are middle class.
Is your book case bigger than your TV?
If you get home at 5pm do you still wait until 7.30 to eat your evening meal?
On Christmas day do you wait until after you've had your Christmas dinner in the afternoon to open your presents?

If the answer is yes to any of the above then you are middle class.
If the answer is no then you are working class. 😁
(edited 2 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending