Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

How do I pick what Physics Course to do?

ReputationRep:
    Please can you help guys. I've been jumping back and forth from wanting to do Physics and Astrophysics MSci, to Physics BSc, to Physics MSci and I'm really unsure on what I should pick. The problem is that I don't really know that much of what theoretical physics or astrophysics are like since i haven't studied them before. And I don't know if I should do a Masters or not since I don't know what the topics I learn at University are fully like yet.

Thank you in advance.

ReputationRep:
    Have you visited? If you're unsure a broader degree with lots of options is always better. I'd say do a BSc at this stage and you can do a masters later if you want to go down that route.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know too much about theoretical physics except that it is very maths-heavy. A lot of people choose it because they don't like lab work, but there's no getting away from labs in the first couple of years. If you really love grappling with mind-bending maths problems though, you could find it very satisfying.

Astrophysics is a very broad-based discipline, incorporating classical mechanics, quantum mechanics, special and general relativity, electromagnetism, atomic and nuclear physics, thermodynamics, statistical mechanics, optics, astronomy, particle physics ... It draws on most of what you will learn in the first two years of your degree, and applies it to modelling particular systems (stars, galaxies, etc).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BrainJuice)
    Please can you help guys. I've been jumping back and forth from wanting to do Physics and Astrophysics MSci, to Physics BSc, to Physics MSci and I'm really unsure on what I should pick. The problem is that I don't really know that much of what theoretical physics or astrophysics are like since i haven't studied them before. And I don't know if I should do a Masters or not since I don't know what the topics I learn at University are fully like yet.

Thank you in advance.
    If you start on a MSci you can "drop back" to the BSc if you want to. The first 2 years are usually common anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    There is a lot of common ground between ALL universities' physics degrees, as to attain Institute of Physics accreditation they have to cover quite a broad range of core subjects. I would focus on unis with more several types of physics degree, and with a broad range of optional units - you can switch between different degrees or units in some unis as you get a firmer idea of your interests. Also, best to put some Masters courses down as well as Bsc courses - quite a few unis will give a lower offer for their Bsc course, so its good to have one of these for your insurance, as you can usually trade up to the Masters if you do well in your first year. I dont know about many other unis, but I know Surrey is very flexible.

Poll
Do you have exam superstitions?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.