Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Just for fun I wrote an Art personal statement. I basically waffled on about a load of rubbish. Give it a read and see what you think? It'll be interesting to see how much better (or worse) my art PS is to my real one, the med PS! I'm not actually applying for art though, lol, although I'm tempted to. And if my grades don't work out for med and pharmacology and microbiology then I'll be heading for art for sure!

Here's my PS:
    "This is not a quote. “What is art?” Who defines what is ‘proper’ art and what is not? Was Adolf Hitler not as much of an artist as Leonardo Di Vinci? What makes an “artist”?

I have explored art all my life, from learning from teachers to self-teaching myself the Japanese Manga, the Pre-Raphaelite, computer-based drawing, origami and portraits and realism. All my life I have gone mad with pencil and paper. I cannot imagine even for a moment not doing art, not being able to draw or paint. Art is a beautiful language of self-expression, and I seek to be an individual who has the skill and privilege of expressing myself in ways and styles unique to me. I seek to answer the question of “What is art?” as the boundlessness and freedom and space for individuality in art allows almost any answer to be sufficient for this question. When does one ‘qualify’ as an artist? Is a child’s imagination on paper not real art when compared to that of Piccasso’s? Is a composition not also a piece of “art”? When one is known for his art, he becomes an artist, and yet are we not all artists? After all, we all seek to express ourselves, in different ways.

Art is silence. It speaks in silence. Art is the control of silent things that influence atmosphere, emotions and moods. Art makes an impression. Art creates an identity for things with no names, such as status, the deepness of relationships (such as in body language, facial expression, how you capture such details and in what colour) and it creates a timeline in which people follow. Art is like a signpost that points you in a particular direction, and people follow. The style of a particular object may scream “Victorian” or “Ancient Greek”. How do you recognise a painting from China rather than England?

All over history nations have used art to represent themselves. Flags are patterns and combinations of colours and sometimes shapes, yet they stand for an identity. China uses the dragon to represent themselves, other nations use bears, or the sun, in which case would be Japan. Art and design tells stories about your person, your likes, your status, and these subtle things range from interior design to size to colours and patterns to positioning of furniture to clothes to what colour you use when painting a picture. Art has so much influence over today’s world. It’s amazing that nobody seems to know, and increasingly art seems to be losing its value. I wonder at how can so many people all over the world miss the importance of art, and in studying it, I hope to bring into society what I see in art, and someday revive its value in the modern world.

Human imagination is such an amazing thing – and even more amazing is how important it is to each of us, on a personal level. The psychology behind art is fascinating and I can’t wait to explore it to a deeper level. I have already successfully taught myself three styles of art, including Manga, Pre-Raphaelite and realism, especially portraits. I have also sold a painting for £20 at the age of 14 and even received a request for a portrait at the same age. But I seek more. This is not nearly enough. To say that what I know now is not enough to satisfy me is a massive understatement. Ultimately, I want to study art, and I mean this in every sense of the word “want”. You want to ask “Why art?” Here’s my answer: I was born with a passion for art and I relish in being able to study it to a higher level. I will persist in my growth as an artist independent, even if every institution rejects me, and one way or another I will seek to reach a higher level in art."

To anyone who can be bothered to comment, thanks! Have fun! I look forward to hearing your replies!

ReputationRep:
    It's very insightful, I think universities will be impressed by that! But don't get me wrong, I know absolutely nothing about art or writing personal statements for that matter, but it doesn't seem very 'personal' to me.

ReputationRep:
    why do art if you dont get the grades for what you realy whant to do? I'm an artist, and I think if your into it, do it if not try again for your first choices.

ReputationRep:
    Here you are writing personal statements for fun, when I've barely started my actual PS!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pegasus)
    Here you are writing personal statements for fun, when I've barely started my actual PS!
    Same here! And what little I have wrote, is rubbish!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aimée123)
    Same here! And what little I have wrote, is rubbish!!!
    I havent even entirley decided on what courses I'm gonna apply to! Hopefully Thursday will help me make up my mind.

(Original post by irisng)
    Just for fun I wrote an Art personal statement. I basically waffled on about a load of rubbish. Give it a read and see what you think? It'll be interesting to see how much better (or worse) my art PS is to my real one, the med PS! I'm not actually applying for art though, lol, although I'm tempted to. And if my grades don't work out for med and pharmacology and microbiology then I'll be heading for art for sure!

Here's my PS:
    "This is not a quote. “What is art?” Who defines what is ‘proper’ art and what is not? Was Adolf Hitler not as much of an artist as Leonardo Di Vinci? What makes an “artist”?

I have explored art all my life, from learning from teachers to self-teaching myself the Japanese Manga, the Pre-Raphaelite, computer-based drawing, origami and portraits and realism. All my life I have gone mad with pencil and paper. I cannot imagine even for a moment not doing art, not being able to draw or paint. Art is a beautiful language of self-expression, and I seek to be an individual who has the skill and privilege of expressing myself in ways and styles unique to me. I seek to answer the question of “What is art?” as the boundlessness and freedom and space for individuality in art allows almost any answer to be sufficient for this question. When does one ‘qualify’ as an artist? Is a child’s imagination on paper not real art when compared to that of Piccasso’s? Is a composition not also a piece of “art”? When one is known for his art, he becomes an artist, and yet are we not all artists? After all, we all seek to express ourselves, in different ways.

Art is silence. It speaks in silence. Art is the control of silent things that influence atmosphere, emotions and moods. Art makes an impression. Art creates an identity for things with no names, such as status, the deepness of relationships (such as in body language, facial expression, how you capture such details and in what colour) and it creates a timeline in which people follow. Art is like a signpost that points you in a particular direction, and people follow. The style of a particular object may scream “Victorian” or “Ancient Greek”. How do you recognise a painting from China rather than England?

All over history nations have used art to represent themselves. Flags are patterns and combinations of colours and sometimes shapes, yet they stand for an identity. China uses the dragon to represent themselves, other nations use bears, or the sun, in which case would be Japan. Art and design tells stories about your person, your likes, your status, and these subtle things range from interior design to size to colours and patterns to positioning of furniture to clothes to what colour you use when painting a picture. Art has so much influence over today’s world. It’s amazing that nobody seems to know, and increasingly art seems to be losing its value. I wonder at how can so many people all over the world miss the importance of art, and in studying it, I hope to bring into society what I see in art, and someday revive its value in the modern world.

Human imagination is such an amazing thing – and even more amazing is how important it is to each of us, on a personal level. The psychology behind art is fascinating and I can’t wait to explore it to a deeper level. I have already successfully taught myself three styles of art, including Manga, Pre-Raphaelite and realism, especially portraits. I have also sold a painting for £20 at the age of 14 and even received a request for a portrait at the same age. But I seek more. This is not nearly enough. To say that what I know now is not enough to satisfy me is a massive understatement. Ultimately, I want to study art, and I mean this in every sense of the word “want”. You want to ask “Why art?” Here’s my answer: I was born with a passion for art and I relish in being able to study it to a higher level. I will persist in my growth as an artist independent, even if every institution rejects me, and one way or another I will seek to reach a higher level in art."

To anyone who can be bothered to comment, thanks! Have fun! I look forward to hearing your replies!
    wow... the way you write is very kool! Full marks! lol... from what you've written, I'd say you'd be into history of art (lotsa essay writing)... because that's what immediately struck me reading it.

By the way... if you wanna do med, bio med or whatever... go for it! Don't opt for a second choice just for the sake of it... I didn't and I feel so much better for it. I'm gonna do what I love instead!

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.