Anxiety at university

I am a second year actually studying at my local university, as someone who has always suffered from severe anxiety and homesickness, I stayed at home during my first year. However, having made a lovely group of friends, i decided that for my second year i would rent a house with my uni friends. I am only a week in an already feeling like it was the wrong decision from having continuous nausea and stomach ache as a result of anxiety and the thought of just wanting to be back home. I am continuously looking forward to the next time that I will be going back home, and feel its just not how it should be. By making a timetable of where I will be days of the week, I just feel like im in an endless cycle of not knowing where i want to be causing me to be unhappy and constantly stressed.
    Has anyone ever felt this way before or have suggestions as to what I can do to relieve this stress, as I do not want it effecting my studies.
    Thank you in advance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I am a second year actually studying at my local university, as someone who has always suffered from severe anxiety and homesickness, I stayed at home during my first year. However, having made a lovely group of friends, i decided that for my second year i would rent a house with my uni friends. I am only a week in an already feeling like it was the wrong decision from having continuous nausea and stomach ache as a result of anxiety and the thought of just wanting to be back home. I am continuously looking forward to the next time that I will be going back home, and feel its just not how it should be. By making a timetable of where I will be days of the week, I just feel like im in an endless cycle of not knowing where i want to be causing me to be unhappy and constantly stressed.
    Has anyone ever felt this way before or have suggestions as to what I can do to relieve this stress, as I do not want it effecting my studies.
    Thank you in advance
    Talk to student support at your uni. They deal with a lot of this sort of thing so can give great advice. They can also act as a safety net if it starts affecting your studies and help yiu out with that.
    Consider seeing a doctor about the anxiety. Therapy or counseling could help you and they can also prescribe things like beta blockers to help with the symptoms if you need them. If you can start to manage the underlying anxiety you will probably find that things like this bother you less.

Make your new home into a proper home- decorate your room nicely and give yourself a chance to settle in. Maybe invite your paernts or family over for a meal too. Spend some time getting yourself settled before worring about scedules and things like that. One big thing at a time.
    Work out a bit of a plan and leave some space or new additions and "me time". Having some time set aside to pamper yourself and relax can be a help and making sure you have a bit of time for the unexpected can be really useful. It can be as strict or as lieniant as you want from- mondays are me days, tuesdays are tidying days etc to 9:00am wake up, brush teeth, 9:30am, make breakfast, 9:40am eat breakfast. It depends on what works best for you. I like loose schedules cos theres less pressure and more lieniancy for spontanious things.
    Talk to your friends. Let them know you're having a hard time at the moment and ask for a bit of support. Maybe you could all have a day to settle into your new place and watch movies together or somehing.

Remember that you can always move back home but what you are probably going through righ now is home sickness and temporary anxiety. You've made a big change and it can take a while to get used to. Give yourself some time before freaking out and making any big decisions.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 5, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you prefer to be told about sex by your:
Useful resources
Study resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.