I foget things and it makes me incapable, just wanted advice

I work weekends as a mental health nurse assistant on an elderely ward for people with dementia. I did qualify as a nurse but chose not to work as a qualified as I changed my mind about a career and am now studying something else. A problem I have though is that I struggle with certain things including remembering things clearly. I appear dopy all the time and don't know why I'm like this. I go to a sports club and one of the coaches there said that he was going to ask me about a blood pressure issue he had but that a woman (who I train with) had told him not to ask me as I wouldn't know. This same women even said to me once 'I'm not being funny but if I came on a ward and you was there I'd just walk out and go somewhere else'. I was fine academically during my training but felt that I lacked in certain areas on placements. All my mentors said I was fine/good apart from the last placement. I struggled and my mentor had no faith in me, said my knowledge lacked and various other things. There were things I didn't feel were fair but one of them was I was put on phone duty. I volunteered to do it as I wanted to make a good impression and answering phones is a secret fear of mine and I wanted to try to get over it. Anyway I received a call from someone in the finance department asking for someone's gp number. I looked on the computer but couldn't find it (I'm bad with computers) so I told her this and said that I'd just be a moment while I get help off a college. She said 'well how do you look up patients numbers yourself'. I got nervous and said 'sorry about this I can't remember how to do it I will just get some help'. I asked a college and he told me what to do (but didn't get up and show me). I was still unable to do it so politely told the women and went back to the nurse/colleague panicking. He told me to put her through to admin. I went back to the phone but with it being my first time on the phones I didn't know how to put through so I gave her the number to admin. She said 'you should be able to put me through really, very unprofessional' I said 'ok sorry thanks' then she just went/hung up. I got upset and being the wimp I am went to the toilets and secretly cried lol. I actually cried a lot the placement in that same toilet lol, I need to be stronger somehow. My mentor found out about the call and told me that she said I left the phone off the hook and that I grunted on the phone :/. As far as I was aware I was polite and didn't grunt. If the situation was reversed and I spoke like she did I'm sure I'd be classed as in the wrong. I told my mentor that I am bad with computers and get nervous on phones sometimes but that I did my best and was polite. My mentor said that 'I showed you how to look up go numbers last week on your first day' I told her what the women said and my mentor said 'I mean I don't always know how to put calls through but I think she was just taken aback that you couldn't do it'. So she didn't mark me off as passing the 'communication with colleagues' element of my assessment. I was also required to teach a student how to give an injection so I spent the night before revising how to. On the day I showed the student in front on my mentor but there was a twist lol. My mentor had secretly told the student to prepare some questions to ask me. Some of them I couldn't answer including a medication dose as I'd forgotten the max dose for that particular medication. I said that I would refer to the med guidance book that is kept in ever clinic but it wasn't good enough she said she was worried. The student said that she was told not to tell me about the questions. I wish I'd have been informed that there would be questions on the med so I could recap/go over my notes I thought I was just teaching the technique but I guess I should have thought better lol. I passed eventually but I still don't seem to be as sharp as most people. For example last weekend I was on a ward that I'd been on once before but I didn't know the patients. One of the patients urinated on the floor and whilst another staff helped them I went to get the bucket to clean it up. The nurse in charge said ' who did it'. I couldn't remember so said 'I'm not sure I don't know the patients. She said 'did you see the patient do it. I said 'yes I helped pull their trousers up then went to clean it up'. She said 'you don't know names but do you know who it was facially. I thought about it but just couldn't remember so just said 'sorry I didn't notice'. She just said 'oh ok'shook her head then walked off. I asked the other staff who was with her which patient it was he knew so I went and told her afterwards. It's just things like this, I just want to be normal but the fact is I forget a lot and make mistakes in front others. I don't really remember things clearly in my head. Just wanted advice. 0 start new discussion reply tools Updated: October 4, 2016 Quick ReplyMake post anonymously submit reply preview post Latest Trending

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry, it happens to every one. It's like when you walk into a room to get something, but then you forget what it was. Perhaps you have to much on your mind, or you have adapted too much to the those with dementia and are unconsciously behaving as they would. Have you had any personal issues lately? Or anything that is making you overthink?

(Original post by SNK0)
    Don't worry, it happens to every one. It's like when you walk into a room to get something, but then you forget what it was. Perhaps you have to much on your mind, or you have adapted too much to the those with dementia and are unconsciously behaving as they would. Have you had any personal issues lately? Or anything that is making you overthink?
    Thanks for the reply. I'm trying to get this thread deleted as it's hard to read with not being in paragraphs. Yeh I often tell myself that it happens to everyone but it seems to happen to me a lot more so much so that people clearly don't trust me. I think I may have adapted to the behaviours of a dementia patient lol that is a good point!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I'm trying to get this thread deleted as it's hard to read with not being in paragraphs. Yeh I often tell myself that it happens to everyone but it seems to happen to me a lot more so much so that people clearly don't trust me.
    Don't delete it, it's a good post. Why don't you then try to explain yourself to them or find alternative ways in gaining their trust?

ReputationRep:
    Ok so you need to be a lot more professional in your work. You are trying to get away with just winging it.

Everyone forgets things which is why you need a system so that you don't. You need a diary which you always have with you. You mark in it things you have to do / remember on certain days. You need to train yourself to look at it every morning before you go to work to check that you have with you whatever you need. Put a big notice by your bed.

Next you need a notebook in which you enter things you have trouble remembering at work. So for example how to use the phone, any dosages you fund difficult. Organise it alphabetically so you can find what you need quickly. Enter things in it while you have the person with you so you can check any point you are unsure of. ( An address book might work as long as it gives you enough space.) When ever someone criticises you, make a note of what you did wrong in the notebook. At the end of the day read it through / read it through the next morning to remind yourself what to do.

Professionals don't rely on memory, particularly not when there is something new they need to know.
    You say you don't seem as smart as other people. People who seem smart have spent hours learning how to be smart.
    You really should not be in the position of not knowing your course. There are no short cuts , no inherent sharpness that other people have and you haven't. They have learnt their work : you haven't.

The only way of altering your reputation is by doing the work. Set aside an hour everyday if you are working all day and go through your course and learn it. ie read it a small bit at a time , cover the section and try and write it down from memory until you get it perfect. If you find that you are not doing it well because you are tired after work or you forget, then you must get up earlier everyday and do the studying before you go out to work. When you have finished the whole course , start again from the beginning.

If you are bad on the phone /with computers you need to practise more, learn how to be better. Take a course on computers. No one is born good at computers, good on the phone- they take the trouble to ask other people what they are doing wrong and practise how to do it better. If she has said you grunted on the phone, you need to stand up and practise how to answer the phone in a louder clearer voice, not in a casual , slap dash manner. When you are on the phone 'thanks', 'OK' any slang, is too informal , you say 'thank you'. You are representing your organisation and need to be pleasant and professional. So eg Hello this is .......(your name), ....ward. How can I help? Fine I'll contact her for you... I'll put you though... I'll see if I can get that information for you. Do you mind holding on for a minute? I'll not be long. The phone may go quiet for a minute but don't worry I'll get back to you etc. Watch how other people do it and go home and repeat it aloud until you are confident. Go on the computer and google how to answer a phone at work etc.

This is called taking responsibility for yourself . You owe it to your patients to be serious. If you can't /won't do it then you owe it to them to stop this job and do something else which is not so important.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pickup)
    Ok so you need to be a lot more professional in your work. You are trying to get away with just winging it.

Everyone forgets things which is why you need a system so that you don't. You need a diary which you always have with you. You mark in it things you have to do / remember on certain days. You need to train yourself to look at it every morning before you go to work to check that you have with you whatever you need. Put a big notice by your bed.

Next you need a notebook in which you enter things you have trouble remembering at work. So for example how to use the phone, any dosages you fund difficult. Organise it alphabetically so you can find what you need quickly. Enter things in it while you have the person with you so you can check any point you are unsure of. ( An address book might work as long as it gives you enough space.) When ever someone criticises you, make a note of what you did wrong in the notebook. At the end of the day read it through / read it through the next morning to remind yourself what to do.

Professionals don't rely on memory, particularly not when there is something new they need to know.
    You say you don't seem as smart as other people. People who seem smart have spent hours learning how to be smart.
    You really should not be in the position of not knowing your course. There are no short cuts , no inherent sharpness that other people have and you haven't. They have learnt their work : you haven't.

The only way of altering your reputation is by doing the work. Set aside an hour everyday if you are working all day and go through your course and learn it. ie read it a small bit at a time , cover the section and try and write it down from memory until you get it perfect. If you find that you are not doing it well because you are tired after work or you forget, then you must get up earlier everyday and do the studying before you go out to work. When you have finished the whole course , start again from the beginning.

If you are bad on the phone /with computers you need to practise more, learn how to be better. Take a course on computers. No one is born good at computers, good on the phone- they take the trouble to ask other people what they are doing wrong and practise how to do it better. If she has said you grunted on the phone, you need to stand up and practise how to answer the phone in a louder clearer voice, not in a casual , slap dash manner. When you are on the phone 'thanks', 'OK' any slang, is too informal , you say 'thank you'. You are representing your organisation and need to be pleasant and professional. So eg Hello this is .......(your name), ....ward. How can I help? Fine I'll contact her for you... I'll put you though... I'll see if I can get that information for you. Do you mind holding on for a minute? I'll not be long. The phone may go quiet for a minute but don't worry I'll get back to you etc. Watch how other people do it and go home and repeat it aloud until you are confident. Go on the computer and google how to answer a phone at work etc.

This is called taking responsibility for yourself . You owe it to your patients to be serious. If you can't /won't do it then you owe it to them to stop this job and do something else which is not so important.
    Maybe it is not about their professionalism...

ReputationRep:
    Compared to the average person of your age:

Do you struggle to remember verbal instructions, or have to read paragraphs several times over for it to sink in even though the information is simple? What about long term memories, do you have the same level of recall about your childhood and school material that others do, do you have a reputation for forgetfullness even when a child i.e. is this a recent problem youre having or something youve had for a long time? Are you easily confused/thrown off when someone runs an idea by you whilst everyone grasps it without a problem? Try to be objective about this if you can.

Im just making some guesses about what experiences you may have- was I right? You have these problems no matter how hard you try to remember and focus? If so, youre not alone.

What you have is not "normal", sure everyone has these episodes but some have them a LOT more than others or have it on as a permanent mode. I highly recommend you see a doctor, there may be all kinds of things that bring out the symptoms I mentioned. It could be physiological or psychological or even both. It may be possible for it to get worse if you dont get it remedied sooner. Youre looking after the welfare of others, by not seeking out solutions to your memory issues you potentially put their safety at risk- dont take this lightly.

Contact me in private if you can, i may have something for you- no, im not offering pharmaceuticals/magic potions

(Original post by pickup)

Thanks for that. I've answered phones in the past and have been OK as the conversation has gone smoothly/I've been able to help them but I guess in this instance I wasn't able to help them, they got annoyed and I got anxious/didn't know what to do. I did the best best I could given my capabilities/or incapabilities lol. What I don't understand though is when I've rang people up and they haven't been able to help/been slow at their job I haven't outwardly got annoyed/told them they were unprofessional I've just waited (which is annoying fair enough) and beared with them lol. Even so though I find that when someone is telling me something I'm not as quick at understanding it as others, particularly stories with lots of events happening/people involved such as 'she said this and he went and told Tom who said such a thing' etc. It's the same on the phone I hear the words but am not that clever at understanding unless I'm already familiar with the situation. I'm fine with things like essays though where I have plenty of time to think and work things out.

I do need to do more work having more knowledge will certainly help me to contribute/be more competent, so yes I can make an effort to improve in this area. It is things like the mop and bucket situation I explained though where I didn't remember the face of the patient who had the accident. It is just dopiness but I promise myself a lot that I won't be like this and then there's always something that I seem to get/do wrong or show myself up in some way. Another example is I go running/compete at events and we have to wear the clubs vest. I've competed for years and never done this before but for one race I was warmed up, went to the start and completed the race. Only problem was I'd left my shirt on and forgotten to put the club vest on.

Luckily I didn't get disqualified but I could have and the club could have lost points. They all seemed to look at me in disbelief that I'd done it though. It happened right in front of that woman who doesn't trust me too (the one who said she'd walk off the ward if I was working there) and who has clearly labelled me as dopy. I just said afterwards that I didn't notice as I was looking ahead rather than at what I was wearing and she said 'yea but you can look down'. They then started sharing funny stories of studs I've said and laughing with each other about my past dopiness including the time I got stuck under some equipment whilst helping put it away. It doesn't help that Ive never had great social skills and get told that I say stuff more like a child/teenager would than an adult, though I think this is because I didn't get out/socialise much (I didn't have the friends but wasn't too bothered I like my own company anyway). I do have a diary at work but I'l take into account what you have said about working more and being more on top of things as I do get lazy in this respect.

(Original post by MasterJack)
    Compared to the average person of your age:

Do you struggle to remember verbal instructions, or have to read paragraphs several times over for it to sink in even though the information is simple? What about long term memories, do you have the same level of recall about your childhood and school material that others do, do you have a reputation for forgetfullness even when a child i.e. is this a recent problem youre having or something youve had for a long time? Are you easily confused/thrown off when someone runs an idea by you whilst everyone grasps it without a problem? Try to be objective about this if you can.

Im just making some guesses about what experiences you may have- was I right? You have these problems no matter how hard you try to remember and focus? If so, youre not alone.

What you have is not "normal", sure everyone has these episodes but some have them a LOT more than others or have it on as a permanent mode. I highly recommend you see a doctor, there may be all kinds of things that bring out the symptoms I mentioned. It could be physiological or psychological or even both. It may be possible for it to get worse if you dont get it remedied sooner. Youre looking after the welfare of others, by not seeking out solutions to your memory issues you potentially put their safety at risk- dont take this lightly.

Contact me in private if you can, i may have something for you- no, im not offering pharmaceuticals/magic potions
    I do often have to read things over to understand stuff yes I am slow at understanding things but am usually ok is fully focused on the task. I don't know really why I'm like I am whether it's due to not concentrating enough, not preparing enough, being anxious/constantly trying to make people think I'm capable (though I never achieve this lol) or if I'm just generally allow I don't know. Probably a mixture of these.

sorry last sentance of the last post 'allow' should have said 'slow'.

ReputationRep:
    I work weekends as a mental health nurse assistant on an elderely ward for people with dementia. I did qualify as a nurse but chose not to work as a qualified as I changed my mind about a career and am now studying something else. A problem I have though is that I struggle with certain things including remembering things clearly. I appear dopy all the time and don't know why I'm like this. I go to a sports club and one of the coaches there said that he was going to ask me about a blood pressure issue he had but that a woman (who I train with) had told him not to ask me as I wouldn't know. This same women even said to me once 'I'm not being funny but if I came on a ward and you was there I'd just walk out and go somewhere else'. I was fine academically during my training but felt that I lacked in certain areas on placements. All my mentors said I was fine/good apart from the last placement. I struggled and my mentor had no faith in me, said my knowledge lacked and various other things. There were things I didn't feel were fair but one of them was I was put on phone duty. I volunteered to do it as I wanted to make a good impression and answering phones is a secret fear of mine and I wanted to try to get over it. Anyway I received a call from someone in the finance department asking for someone's gp number. I looked on the computer but couldn't find it (I'm bad with computers) so I told her this and said that I'd just be a moment while I get help off a college. She said 'well how do you look up patients numbers yourself'. I got nervous and said 'sorry about this I can't remember how to do it I will just get some help'. I asked a college and he told me what to do (but didn't get up and show me). I was still unable to do it so politely told the women and went back to the nurse/colleague panicking. He told me to put her through to admin. I went back to the phone but with it being my first time on the phones I didn't know how to put through so I gave her the number to admin. She said 'you should be able to put me through really, very unprofessional' I said 'ok sorry thanks' then she just went/hung up. I got upset and being the wimp I am went to the toilets and secretly cried lol. I actually cried a lot the placement in that same toilet lol, I need to be stronger somehow. My mentor found out about the call and told me that she said I left the phone off the hook and that I grunted on the phone :/. As far as I was aware I was polite and didn't grunt. If the situation was reversed and I spoke like she did I'm sure I'd be classed as in the wrong. I told my mentor that I am bad with computers and get nervous on phones sometimes but that I did my best and was polite. My mentor said that 'I showed you how to look up go numbers last week on your first day' I told her what the women said and my mentor said 'I mean I don't always know how to put calls through but I think she was just taken aback that you couldn't do it'. So she didn't mark me off as passing the 'communication with colleagues' element of my assessment. I was also required to teach a student how to give an injection so I spent the night before revising how to. On the day I showed the student in front on my mentor but there was a twist lol. My mentor had secretly told the student to prepare some questions to ask me. Some of them I couldn't answer including a medication dose as I'd forgotten the max dose for that particular medication. I said that I would refer to the med guidance book that is kept in ever clinic but it wasn't good enough she said she was worried. The student said that she was told not to tell me about the questions. I wish I'd have been informed that there would be questions on the med so I could recap/go over my notes I thought I was just teaching the technique but I guess I should have thought better lol. I passed eventually but I still don't seem to be as sharp as most people. For example last weekend I was on a ward that I'd been on once before but I didn't know the patients. One of the patients urinated on the floor and whilst another staff helped them I went to get the bucket to clean it up. The nurse in charge said ' who did it'. I couldn't remember so said 'I'm not sure I don't know the patients. She said 'did you see the patient do it. I said 'yes I helped pull their trousers up then went to clean it up'. She said 'you don't know names but do you know who it was facially. I thought about it but just couldn't remember so just said 'sorry I didn't notice'. She just said 'oh ok'shook her head then walked off. I asked the other staff who was with her which patient it was he knew so I went and told her afterwards. It's just things like this, I just want to be normal but the fact is I forget a lot and make mistakes in front others. I don't really remember things clearly in my head. Just wanted advice. 0 start new discussion reply tools Updated: October 4, 2016 Quick ReplyMake post anonymously submit reply preview post Latest Trending
    You have to go to your doctor to tell them these things so they can suggest what to do. I have same problems. Look on google for memory problems or memory loss
    My doctor was **** at telling me anything but was helpful with other stuff but i did not persue her about the problem which i should have done and and an advisor she referred me to for Social Prescribing for other things was more helpful than her and also told me to discuss with my doctor again about my memory problems.
    This advisor also told me to look it up online and that if you learn to play a musical instrument this helps people improve memory problems or do things you enjoy which helps improve memory too . Although i always wanted to do a music course i did not do anything about it but i decided to finally just enrol in college on a music course so i have only been on it for one month now but it is brilliant and i wish i had done this years ago but doing something i love and learning how to play music is really improving my memory for some things, not everything. It might be different for every person.

There is a documentary about it too online or on free film websites called
    Showbox, Putlocker, 123movies.to called Life but i'm not sure but i will have to find out if that is the name of it later as i could be wrong. I remember seeing the advert for it on showbox or the other free film sites but i never got round to watching it yet

I had same problem working as a temporary receptionist filling in for 2 days years ago so i chose never to do any job as a receptionist as i hate it and it's embarrassing not knowing simple things. 6 months ago i did voluntary work as reception/admin assistant 1day a week and the company i volunteered with had a list of 15 names & numbers & extension numbers of the people working there so that made it easier to contact them when customers asked for that specific person but i still messsed up sometimes. But the person who organised for me to do the voluntary work i told them i only want admin work not reception because even though you answer phones in admin too its different because in reception jobs everyone is calling just you and relying on you and customers who come in the building can see you messing up. So avoid recption duties if possible and at least if your in an office doing admin you can ask colleagues for help with most customers not being able to see you do this.

Anyway they did not give you proper training in reception so it's not all your fault and people who have been working as receptionists for years mess up too and make simple mistakes by not knowing people's numbers as i saw this happen when i was being trained on reception for voluntary and paid jobs.
    Nobody is perfect at their job and your strengths lies in other things like helping people, being caring and patient, etc

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for that. I've answered phones in the past and have been OK as the conversation has gone smoothly/I've been able to help them but I guess in this instance I wasn't able to help them, they got annoyed and I got anxious/didn't know what to do. I did the best best I could given my capabilities/or incapabilities lol. What I don't understand though is when I've rang people up and they haven't been able to help/been slow at their job I haven't outwardly got annoyed/told them they were unprofessional I've just waited (which is annoying fair enough) and beared with them lol. Even so though I find that when someone is telling me something I'm not as quick at understanding it as others, particularly stories with lots of events happening/people involved such as 'she said this and he went and told Tom who said such a thing' etc. It's the same on the phone I hear the words but am not that clever at understanding unless I'm already familiar with the situation. I'm fine with things like essays though where I have plenty of time to think and work things out.

I do need to do more work having more knowledge will certainly help me to contribute/be more competent, so yes I can make an effort to improve in this area. It is things like the mop and bucket situation I explained though where I didn't remember the face of the patient who had the accident. It is just dopiness but I promise myself a lot that I won't be like this and then there's always something that I seem to get/do wrong or show myself up in some way. Another example is I go running/compete at events and we have to wear the clubs vest. I've competed for years and never done this before but for one race I was warmed up, went to the start and completed the race. Only problem was I'd left my shirt on and forgotten to put the club vest on.

Luckily I didn't get disqualified but I could have and the club could have lost points. They all seemed to look at me in disbelief that I'd done it though. It happened right in front of that woman who doesn't trust me too (the one who said she'd walk off the ward if I was working there) and who has clearly labelled me as dopy. I just said afterwards that I didn't notice as I was looking ahead rather than at what I was wearing and she said 'yea but you can look down'. They then started sharing funny stories of studs I've said and laughing with each other about my past dopiness including the time I got stuck under some equipment whilst helping put it away. It doesn't help that Ive never had great social skills and get told that I say stuff more like a child/teenager would than an adult, though I think this is because I didn't get out/socialise much (I didn't have the friends but wasn't too bothered I like my own company anyway). I do have a diary at work but I'l take into account what you have said about working more and being more on top of things as I do get lazy in this respect.
    I had a job where people were always telling me a whole string of things, dates and figures eg. No way could I have remembered them all without making notes as they were speaking. This is what you have to do too. You don't answer a phone without having a pen and paper handy.

You have to take on board people's criticisms and make sure you don't repeat them, You speaking as if you were a child or a teenager, is not fine in a job situation but you can correct it. Write a note to yourself in your note book - no slang, no OKs, no slovenly ways of speaking. Learn the phrases to say on the phone. Other people don't spring from their mother;s womb knowing these things they take the trouble to learn them. You are not inherently 'dopy' or slow - you just haven't decided to learn these things yet.

People remember what strikes them as important. You didn't remember who was involved in the mop / bucket incident because it didn't strike you as important: you were concentrating on righting the situation. Similarly you were no doubt thinking about the race and doing well - rather than what you were wearing. Now you know it was important to know who it was what you wear, you won't make the same mistake again. It's a question of setting aside some time before an important event, starting an important task, and thinking what are the crucial preparations you need to make. Write them down and go through them systematically.

Remember what they say - a genius is someone who takes infinite pains with what they do. You could be a genius too - you just need to take infinite pains. You will if you consider what you are doing at work is very important, can have important consequences for the people you are working with. If you don't really have your heart in the work ie you care less about these people in reality, then you will not make the effort.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 8, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you prefer to be told about sex by your:
Useful resources
Study resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.