Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What are your history 'fun facts'? Watch

Announcements
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Throughout history, there have been a number of crucial events, that we've all learnt a lot about. Alongside these, however, there have also been a number of weird and wonderful occurrences, and some downright weird events :holmes:

For example, did you know that the shortest war lasted a grand total of 38 minutes? Or that Napoleon was once attacked by rabbits?

Post your fun or unusual facts here, and at the end of the week, we'll put together a fact file of the best ones! :work:
    • Section Leader
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Tools for brushing teeth date back to 3500-3000 BC when Egyptians and Babylonians made a brush by fraying the end of a twig. The idea of toothpaste wasn't developed until the 1800s, where soap was used and then around 1850, chalk was used... yuck :yucky:

I'm grateful things have moved on since then :lol:
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    In 1872, Scotland played England in the first international game of football. The result was a 0-0 draw.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Vasili Arkhipov, a Soviet navy officer aboard a submarine, refused to launch a nuke during the Cuban Missile Crisis. Despite the 2 other commanding officers wanting to do so (all 3 had to agree). A year earlier Vasili Arkhipov was also aboard a submarine with a leak in its coolant system - many aboard that sub died from being irradiated, however Vasili Arkhipov lived until he was 72.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vasili_Arkhipov

ReputationRep:
    Krum had the skull of Nikephoros made into a cup from which he made Byzantine officials drink when they were visiting his capital.

Is that fun?

Oh, to clarify: Krum was the Khan of the Bulgarians, Nikephoros the Byzantine Emperor. Krum defeated Nikephoros in a battle and took his head, made the cup, etc.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    I've just had a quick look on Google and found this:
    The first known contraceptive was crocodile dung, used by Egyptians in 2000 B.C.

I'm so glad times have changed! :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sabertooth)
    Vasili Arkhipov, a Soviet navel officer aboard a submarine, refused to launch a nuke during the Cuban Missile Crisis. Despite the 2 other commanding officers wanting to do so (all 3 had to agree). A year earlier Vasili Arkhipov was also aboard a submarine with a leak in its coolant system - many aboard that sub died from being irradiated, however Vasili Arkhipov lived until he was 72.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vasili_Arkhipov
    I know the Soviets were noted for their bureaucracy but I never knew that they even employed belly-button inspectors. Presumably it enabled them to work out what the people would stomach. What a waist!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    I know the Soviets were noted for their bureaucracy but I never knew that they even employed belly-button inspectors. Presumably it enabled them to work out what the people would stomach. What a waist!
    Haha.

Oops!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.