What are your history 'fun facts'?

ReputationRep:
    Throughout history, there have been a number of crucial events, that we've all learnt a lot about. Alongside these, however, there have also been a number of weird and wonderful occurrences, and some downright weird events :holmes:

For example, did you know that the shortest war lasted a grand total of 38 minutes? Or that Napoleon was once attacked by rabbits?

Post your fun or unusual facts here, and at the end of the week, we'll put together a fact file of the best ones! :work:

ReputationRep:
    Tools for brushing teeth date back to 3500-3000 BC when Egyptians and Babylonians made a brush by fraying the end of a twig. The idea of toothpaste wasn't developed until the 1800s, where soap was used and then around 1850, chalk was used... yuck :yucky:

I'm grateful things have moved on since then :lol:

ReputationRep:
    In 1872, Scotland played England in the first international game of football. The result was a 0-0 draw.

ReputationRep:
    Vasili Arkhipov, a Soviet navy officer aboard a submarine, refused to launch a nuke during the Cuban Missile Crisis. Despite the 2 other commanding officers wanting to do so (all 3 had to agree). A year earlier Vasili Arkhipov was also aboard a submarine with a leak in its coolant system - many aboard that sub died from being irradiated, however Vasili Arkhipov lived until he was 72.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vasili_Arkhipov

ReputationRep:
    Krum had the skull of Nikephoros made into a cup from which he made Byzantine officials drink when they were visiting his capital.

Is that fun?

Oh, to clarify: Krum was the Khan of the Bulgarians, Nikephoros the Byzantine Emperor. Krum defeated Nikephoros in a battle and took his head, made the cup, etc.

ReputationRep:
    I've just had a quick look on Google and found this:
    The first known contraceptive was crocodile dung, used by Egyptians in 2000 B.C.

I'm so glad times have changed! :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sabertooth)
    Vasili Arkhipov, a Soviet navel officer aboard a submarine, refused to launch a nuke during the Cuban Missile Crisis. Despite the 2 other commanding officers wanting to do so (all 3 had to agree). A year earlier Vasili Arkhipov was also aboard a submarine with a leak in its coolant system - many aboard that sub died from being irradiated, however Vasili Arkhipov lived until he was 72.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vasili_Arkhipov
    I know the Soviets were noted for their bureaucracy but I never knew that they even employed belly-button inspectors. Presumably it enabled them to work out what the people would stomach. What a waist!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    I know the Soviets were noted for their bureaucracy but I never knew that they even employed belly-button inspectors. Presumably it enabled them to work out what the people would stomach. What a waist!
    Haha.

Oops!

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 5, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you prefer to be told about sex by your:
Useful resources
Study resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.