Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

I want to learn Programming...

ReputationRep:
    Hi I want to learn programming to prepare for my first year of Computer Science at the University of Southampton (which mainly use JAVA) . I was wondering where is the best places I could learn JAVA and maybe some basic fundamentals of computer science which would prepare me for my first year?

Thanks, please be specific and provide some resources.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kira Yagami)
    Hi I want to learn programming to prepare for my first year of Computer Science at the University of Southampton (which mainly use JAVA) . I was wondering where is the best places I could learn JAVA and maybe some basic fundamentals of computer science which would prepare me for my first year?

https://www.codecademy.com/learn/learn-java

ReputationRep:
    If you really want to learn coding, start with Codecademy and Treehouse website. Those are famous websites that can teach you to code interactively offering well-structured courses. But honestly, I personally don't use my coding experience at all now. I create websites from professionally designed premium wordpress templates . This way to design websites saves me much time and nerves, really

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mirrightf)
    If you really want to learn coding, start with Codecademy and Treehouse website. Those are famous websites that can teach you to code interactively offering well-structured courses. But honestly, I personally don't use my coding experience at all now. I create websites from professionally designed premium wordpress templates . This way to design websites saves me much time and nerves, really
    Thanks. What did you do at university and at which uni? Anything else you think I should do to prepare for my degree? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Thanks. What did you do at university and at which uni? Anything else you think I should do to prepare for my degree? Thanks
    Some programming theory would help you a lot. Getting your head around multiple nested FOR loops for instance. That is quite a big leap, especially if they have conditions in them. The only other thing that requires preparation is for the boredom of Databases. Some work experience in that regard would be perfect too.

ReputationRep:

Buy a programming book for your particular choice, then read parts and try and put it into practice. That could be very useful. My brother has a C++ book which is very good.

ReputationRep:
    Same here . I want to study computer science at university too . Code academy is a good website as well as khan academy .

ReputationRep:
    What sort of programming experience do you have? It's important to start by understanding the basics (data types, iteration, decision statements, functions, objects and so on). If the things I've just said mean nothing to you then you need to start from the very beginning. If you have some knowledge then you may be able to just jump straight into Java.

Personally I don't find Java to be the most user friendly language to start with, which is why many people learn (and recommend starting with) Python. The great thing about programming is that once you know the concepts you can learn any language.

My biggest piece of advice is don't focus on learning Java. Focus on learning how to program. These might seem the same at first but you'll quickly see the difference. In short learning Java would mean learning how you write things in Java to solve problems. Learning how to program is learning how the key aspects of programming work and using that to solve problems. There are minor differences between languages but rather than learning how to store a number in Java learn how an int or float data type works.

This means you can pick a simple language like Python to start with, learn the basics of things and then simply learn how to use those within Java. This gives you transferrable skills that you can apply to any programming language.

As far as how to learn, the main focus is on doing things. I don't find books to be all that helpful because they tend to focus on theory and don't give you as much practice. Something interactive like codecademy is nice because you learn while doing and it points out your mistakes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acsel)
    What sort of programming experience do you have? It's important to start by understanding the basics (data types, iteration, decision statements, functions, objects and so on). If the things I've just said mean nothing to you then you need to start from the very beginning. If you have some knowledge then you may be able to just jump straight into Java.

Personally I don't find Java to be the most user friendly language to start with, which is why many people learn (and recommend starting with) Python. The great thing about programming is that once you know the concepts you can learn any language.

My biggest piece of advice is don't focus on learning Java. Focus on learning how to program. These might seem the same at first but you'll quickly see the difference. In short learning Java would mean learning how you write things in Java to solve problems. Learning how to program is learning how the key aspects of programming work and using that to solve problems. There are minor differences between languages but rather than learning how to store a number in Java learn how an int or float data type works.

This means you can pick a simple language like Python to start with, learn the basics of things and then simply learn how to use those within Java. This gives you transferrable skills that you can apply to any programming language.

As far as how to learn, the main focus is on doing things. I don't find books to be all that helpful because they tend to focus on theory and don't give you as much practice. Something interactive like codecademy is nice because you learn while doing and it points out your mistakes.
    Thanks. I have zero experience so I am inquiring about how I should start.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks. I have zero experience so I am inquiring about how I should start.
    It's tough to suggest an actual reosurce since everyone learns differntly. Some people like codecadamy for example while others would rather have a book. I'd recommend reading some basic programming tutorials or sticking to interactive, online resources. Find one that works for you.

ReputationRep:
    start with C++

ReputationRep:
    On account of the programming language you are giving the right advice. C ++ is a versatile tool. Along the way, I recommend further study of Java. This programming language is now in great demand. You can ask the professionals that it is better to study http://wezom.com/services/landing_page It is also necessary to consider his future activity.

ReputationRep:
    From my own experience, the online program that I feel best taught me to understand what I was doing and the core principals of thinking computationally was CS50 on edx.

It 's in C not Java, but something you will soon come to learn is that the language is not what's important. Understanding the process of solving a problem with an algorithm is the hard part, it's easier to learn a language than that concept. All the other sites I've tried felt like box ticking exercises I wasn't learning anything from, but CS50 really instilled some useful skills in me regardless of the language it uses.

ReputationRep:
    You can check codeacademy / treehouse they offer various courses in different kind of PL.

Poll
Which party will you be voting for in the General Election 2017?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.