Applying for maintenance loans.

    • Thread Starter

    I'm applying for maintenance loans for next year as I wish to study away from home. I know the amount you are offered depends on you household income. I currently live with a disabled grandparent and I am working full time. When I start my university course I'll no longer be working at all due to moving away. How will this affect my eligibility and what I'm entitled too?


    If you are over 25 you will be entitled to the full amount of student finance.

    If you are under 25 parents support the application. We would require evidence if you are estranged from them. We do not take grandparents income into consideration.

    • Thread Starter

    What sorted of evidence would you need? Thanks.

    Posted from TSR Mobile


    We would require as much evidence as possible to prove estrangement. Below are some examples of evidence you can send:
    • A letter from your social worker
    • A letter from an advice worker, personal tutor or teacher
    • If you have visited your doctor because of problems relating to your broken relationship with your parents, a letter to confirm your circumstances
    • A letter from a counsellor, an organisation, employer or a charity
    • A letter from a member of the clergy, a rabbi or imam that explains that he/she was aware of the difficulties in the student’s family and their subsequent estrangement
    • A statement of incident from the police
    • A statutory declaration signed/stamped by solicitor
    • A letter from a solicitor
Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply


Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

    6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

  4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 6, 2016
TSR Support Team
What is your favourite day of the week
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.