Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

School only lets me take 3 A levels?

ReputationRep:
    I have been doing some research and it seems that most people do 3+ A levels, so if I only did 3 I would be at a disadvantage (I want to get into a good university; maybe even Oxbridge). I want to do maths and all three sciences, so that would mean the extra workload would not be that much because there is a lot of overlap between the subjects.
    I am going to a new sixth form and have started filling out an application, but it only lets me choose 3 A levels... is this normal? It is a grammar school if that makes any difference.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Exotoxin)
    I have been doing some research and it seems that most people do 3+ A levels, so if I only did 3 I would be at a disadvantage (I want to get into a good university; maybe even Oxbridge). I want to do maths and all three sciences, so that would mean the extra workload would not be that much because there is a lot of overlap between the subjects.
    I am going to a new sixth form and have started filling out an application, but it only lets me choose 3 A levels... is this normal? It is a grammar school if that makes any difference.
    self teach your 4th subject

ReputationRep:
    With the introduction of Linear A levels it is now normal to only do 3 A levels. You will not be at a disadvantage.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Some places only let students do three as they'd prefer you focus on them solely rather than doing 4 and dropping one after AS (like most people do). You won't be at any disadvantage only doing three since they only give offers out based on 3 - if you're worried you could always do extra reading around the one you didn't pick and mention that in your personal statement but its unlikely to be the difference between an offer and a rejection. At AS, there was little overlap between chemistry and biology in the spec (only biomolecules but I was at no disadvantage by not doing chemistry). The overlap between any of your subjects will be likely to be minimal and offer you no advantage when it comes to revision.

ReputationRep:
    Oxbridge offers are for 3 A-levels.

3 A-levels is sufficient and common.
    Unless you are doing Maths + FM in which case many will do another 2 A-levels...but again in most cases this is not necessary.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I am doing 4 AS levels right now started with 3 and then decided to pick another one up in the third week just to have a safety net in case something happens with A level Maths. At my sixth form,you need a pass at AS in modular subjects (Maths turns linear 2017) to be able to carry it onto A2. I only happen to have a B at GCSE Maths and not quite confident so decided to pick Biology (linear subject) as a fourth to make sure I have three A levels at the least I can take at A2.

A fourth AS levels isn't necessary and don't understand why some people at my sixth form college do 5 subjects at AS guess they can handle it or maybe love their subjects. With the new linear A levels you are only expected to take 3 and all universities including Oxbridge accept 3 so no point in doing a fourth A level unless you want a choice of what to drop at AS (still a 40% stand alone qualification) or your not confident with one of your subjects then it's better to start off with 4.

You could try to convince your school to let you do a fourth AS but if they still don't agree go a self-study the subject and privately take the exams. If yo are confident with your subjects three should be enough as AAA is better than BBBB but be sure that you can stick with them for 2 years or your stuck with the three.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tinka99)
    I am doing 4 AS levels right now started with 3 and then decided to pick another one up in the third week just to have a safety net in case something happens with A level Maths. At my sixth form,you need a pass at AS in modular subjects (Maths turns linear 2017) to be able to carry it onto A2. I only happen to have a B at GCSE Maths and not quite confident so decided to pick Biology (linear subject) as a fourth to make sure I have three A levels at the least I can take at A2.

A fourth AS levels isn't necessary and don't understand why some people at my sixth form college do 5 subjects at AS guess they can handle it or maybe love their subjects. With the new linear A levels you are only expected to take 3 and all universities including Oxbridge accept 3 so no point in doing a fourth A level unless you want a choice of what to drop at AS (still a 40% stand alone qualification) or your not confident with one of your subjects then it's better to start off with 4.

You could try to convince your school to let you do a fourth AS but if they still don't agree go a self-study the subject and privately take the exams. If yo are confident with your subjects three should be enough as AAA is better than BBBB but be sure that you can stick with them for 2 years or your stuck with the three.
    I NEED HELP. I am currently doing 4 a levels at a2 but I want to drop one, Im confused between psychology and chemistry, I'm not really sure what it is I want to do at uni maybe optom, my predicted grade is B for chem and A for psyc. The other two a levels I am doing are bio and maths both at a predicted at an A.

Poll
Which party will you be voting for in the General Election 2017?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.