Is Pharmacy worth studying? (MPharm)

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    im not so sure I want to pursue a career in pharmacy, inve heard a lot of negative things about it, such as hours, pay, respect you are given, stress, too much inflation of grad pharmas. should I just find another course to stick to or continue with what ive chosen. I'm really starting to doubt whether id like pharmacy now when working. is it that bad?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EpIC_RaGE)
    im not so sure I want to pursue a career in pharmacy, inve heard a lot of negative things about it, such as hours, pay, respect you are given, stress, too much inflation of grad pharmas. should I just find another course to stick to or continue with what ive chosen. I'm really starting to doubt whether id like pharmacy now when working. is it that bad?
    First and foremost, can I ask why you chose pharmacy?

Like you, I read a lot of bad things about pharmacy, particularly about the oversaturation of it, but I applied for it anyway. I can't tell you about life as a pharmacist or what the course is like since I have just started it so my input may not be useful.

So you have to get through the degree to come out the other side as a pharmacist. Its likely you'll be studying with people who just chanced to end up on the course. A lot of medicine or dentistry applicants have pharmacy as a back-up (and there are also a number of gap year resitters). This might seem irrelevant to you, I don't know. Your professors might sometimes mention medics 'who think they are superior' (and perhaps rightfully so, if you ask me) 'but pharmacists still have an important role.' They might also tell you about the one guy who didn't originally want to become a pharmacist who has recently passed his pre-registration exam.

I get the impression that some people apply for pharmacy on a bit of a whim, get in and then realise it is not for them, but they end up having to live with it. Once you're in I feel as if it's hard to get out. Maybe it grows on them, maybe it doesnt. Note that I'm certainly not claiming this is the case for everybody.

There are people who enjoy the course and the job that comes after it. Apply if you feel like you'll be one of them. Feel free to disregard everything I've said for a more experienced opinion however.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 6, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Which is the best season?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.