Cyclsit safety, road use, dangers, safety equipment

Announcements Posted on
Four things that unis think matter more than league tables 08-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I am currently studying Product Design and for my coursework I have decided to revolve my project around designing a product to enhance cyclist safety on the road, at night, beisde lorries and buses, etc...

Therefore, I would love to hear from any cyclists or bike enthusiants about what hinders your performance on the road, what worries you when your on your bike and on the road, what gear do you use for your safety and how does your equipment work for you? What woudl make you feel more safer on the roads if it coudl be helped via any equipment that I could deisgn for it? Do you have anything to say about bike safety or bike equipment like reflective vetss or rear lights?

P.S This is primary research for my Product Design coursework and any help would be imensly appreciated and welcomed. Please give me your anwsers and opinions,

Thank You!

ReputationRep:
    Being seen. Pure and simple.

ReputationRep:
    The biggest issue I have is motorists that pass me too closely. Meaning u cannot avoid deep drains, potholes etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Brakes! Every cyclist has to make sure they work. So that the 1 second between the car in front braking and you braking (especially on a slope) doesn't end in tragedy. That's what happened to me, 4 weeks on my arm is still in a cast.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shawn_o1)
    Brakes! Every cyclist has to make sure they work. So that the 1 second between the car in front braking and you braking (especially on a slope) doesn't end in tragedy. That's what happened to me, 4 weeks on my arm is still in a cast.
    I agree! That's why I opted for disc brakes as in wet conditions they make a significant difference.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by myblueheaven339)
    I agree! That's why I opted for disc brakes as in wet conditions they make a significant difference.
    I opted for the same.

But I also don't follow cars that closely to only give me 1 second of braking time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)
    I opted for the same.

But I also don't follow cars that closely to only give me 1 second of braking time.
    Yes, I leave plenty of space. Shame car drivers dont want to do the same.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Maybe scythes I could attach to my wheels like a roman chariot?

Any car that passes too close would get its tyres slashed.

Also deters pedestrians from stepping out in front of me.

ReputationRep:
    I wear hi vis clothing, have reflectors front and back, lights front and back too but what would be good is to have more of my bike lit up so that people know I am a cyclist (rather than a motorbike user, a person with a head torch, car with a light out etc).

That could be hi vis paint, more reflectors but something not too distracting to see and personally I'm not overly keen on ones that are put in wheel spikes as there is too much movement. Something easy to attach and remove from a bike and also something that would look pretty cool.

I also have the issue as people not giving me enough room, so something that highlights the width of the bike might be good too. Hope that helps!

ReputationRep:
    As a motorcyclist my vote would be for mirrors.

The biggest danger for cyclists in my experience is when one moves or changes direction suddenly. Cyclists often have a habit of indicating with a hand signal and manoeuvring at the same time (cars do this too), often without looking behind them properly, or weaving past traffic (filtering) without checking if something else is coming up the outside - I've had a couple of VERY near misses as a result of this in particular.

I'm pretty sure mirrors for cyclists already exist, but clearly nobody uses them. That could be for a lot of reasons - are they too expensive? Hard to find? Hard to install on handlebars? Badly marketed? Find the issue with the existing stuff and perhaps you can develop a product around it.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 13, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Do you think you'll achieve your predicted A Level grades?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.