Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi All,

I know someone who has just started their first year at UCL studying Medicine. He told me that it was very important that I volunteered at a care home for at least 3 years. At my school, they do let us volunteer at a care home however I chose to do the Royal Navy section instead. I also have an autistic older sibling who I have cared for since I was young. I have tried to ask some care homes if I can volunteer out of school but they think that 14 is too young. Is it worth me changing to volunteering in a care home through school, or is caring for my brother enough for a good university.

Thanks
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Keeth6)
    Hi All,

I know someone who has just started their first year at UCL studying Medicine. He told me that it was very important that I volunteered at a care home for at least 3 years. At my school, they do let us volunteer at a care home however I chose to do the Royal Navy section instead. I also have an autistic older sibling who I have cared for since I was young. I have tried to ask some care homes if I can volunteer out of school but they think that 14 is too young. Is it worth me changing to volunteering in a care home through school, or is caring for my brother enough for a good university.

Thanks
    Have a look at http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=568666 and http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/cont...ork-experience and http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...ork_Experience

You don't need a paid job in the caring sector age 14 to get into med school. Most people get their work experience once they turn 16 (so either post GCSE or during sixth form). Your friend isn't giving you the best advice - at your age you should be concentrating on getting the best GCSE results possible and doing what research you can into what being a doctor involves.

Your caring experiences with your brother might be useful but IMO getting some sort of hands on work with strangers and members of the public will give you more insight into what life as a doctor will involve.

FWIW there's no such thing as a "good" or "bad" university for medicine. There are lots of differences in the way medicine in taught at different universities though so it's important to do your research and find the university that is right for YOU. Getting the best GCSE grades possible will give you more choice.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for your advice.
    I will try and take it on board

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.