Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

Oxbridge Standards

ReputationRep:
    Sorry this may be in wrong section, but I wanted to ask whether my GCSE results are good enough for Oxbridge. I go to an unnamed school where the average grade was around a B. However there were 4 or 5 students with 8 or 9 A*. This is including me, I got 8A*, 1A*withdistinction in further maths, a Distinction* in some extra ict course which everyone got the highest grade in and 3 As.
    |Thanks in advance,
    ps I want to study economics and management at oxford

ReputationRep:
    Good enough.

Given you get the required A-Levels of course.
    And have a good personal statement + interview + admission test.
    You will have a chance

Your GCSEs will not prevent you from getting in.. I'm guessing that is what you are asking

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AdeptDz)
    Good enough.

You will have a chance

Your GCSEs will not prevent you from getting in.. I'm guessing that is what you are asking
    thats great news, thanks, my teacher said i might struggle with those results so was curious to find out more

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mathssgeek)
    thats great news, thanks, my teacher said i might struggle with those results so was curious to find out more
    Well just think about it.
    There are going to be a lot of people who have all A*s and stuff so you're going to have a hard time regardless. After all, it is the best university in the world.
    Even if you get all A*s it is not certain you get in although you have a good chance.
    But with those GCSEs iirc you are above the average or have the average applicant GCSE grades but i believe that was for medicine honestly I forgot saw this ages ago. But yeh im guessing if it is not medicine your GCSEs are fine

ReputationRep:
    Well just think about it.
    There are going to be a lot of people who have all A*s and stuff so you're going to have a hard time regardless. After all, it is the best university in the world.
    Even if you get all A*s it is not certain you get in although you have a good chance.
    But with those GCSEs iirc you are above the average or have the average applicant GCSE grades but i believe that was for medicine honestly I forgot saw this ages ago. But yeh im guessing if it is not medicine your GCSEs are fine
    ok that's great thanks

ReputationRep:
    Good enough.

You will have a chance

I am in year 12 and plan to apply to Cambridge next year at GCSE I got 6B's and 4C's. Do I stand a chance provided I manage to get grades AAAA at AS level and have plenty of extra curricular?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tinka99)
    I am in year 12 and plan to apply to Cambridge next year at GCSE I got 6B's and 4C's. Do I stand a chance provided I manage to get grades AAAA at AS level and have plenty of extra curricular?
    Hmm, not so sure.
    But speaking from sense here:
    i'm guessing to stand a chance you will need like High A's not just As.
    Like 95%+ high As.

Don't quote me on this but your GCSEs do put you a step back but i'm not sure whats the case if you apply with great A-levels and below average (cambridge applicants) GCSEs.
    Good luck on your quest to get AAAA anyway!

Plus:
    From what I've seen cambridge are more lenient on gCSEs than Oxford, but I don't know how lenient they are

Poll
Do you have exam superstitions?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.